Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: feral bee hunting  (Read 4433 times)

Offline firetool

• House Bee
feral bee hunting
« on: March 18, 2005, 09:59:04 am »
I am going after anouther feral bee hive this after noon. Then this weekend I am getting anouther. Wise me luck! I am getting to were I like catching bees it is lots of fun and a good learning expereans.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
feral bee hunting
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 10:35:42 am »
Is this the one in the well?
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
feral bee hunting
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 07:03:23 pm »
Wish me luck, too. My neighbor tells me there are bees in a tree near her house. I'm going to try my first capture when the weather warms up.
Lesli

Offline firetool

• House Bee
feral bee hunting
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 08:24:30 pm »
Jerry this is anouther colliny. It was even stronger than the last. I got some pictures of the wild hive before I started in on it.It was very cool they were living in a wall.The farmer gave me the go a head to remove the inside of the wall. They were under a window, the comb ran from the window to the floor and was about three foot wide the hight was about the same maybe a little taller. Their were a lot of bees in this colliny.
  You know that is when desater struck. I got as much as I could off the comb. I had my boys in the truck and one had to go to the bathroom. So I rushed up and used the bee vacume. I could have got them all by hand like I did last time, but I tried it to speed up things some. The vacume needs some work still it suckes to hard. I probly sucked up 15 -20# of bees and most of them did not make it. It was just to much force for them.I was so mad, but I think I know what I need to do to fix it. I still have the well to get yet so I will post some pictures after that is over. Sould be this weekend we will see!

Brian

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
feral bee hunting
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2005, 05:01:32 am »
I urge everyone to use the seach feature here. It works very well and I found this in about 10 seconds.
We have a great wealth of knowledge here, this is really the only way to access it.
Good luck with your captures. They sound exciting.

http://www.beemaster.com/beebbs/viewtopic.php?t=1671&highlight=bee+vac

A thread that includes plans for a bee vac.
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Offline jxbeeman

• New Bee
feral bee hunting
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2005, 10:44:48 am »
Hey Lesli
I'm not sure but i think i read that ur near the Ithaca area.  If you need help taking out the bees send me one or give me a ring.  i have a beevac and all the fun stuff that comes in handy when taking out hives.  so if you need someone to help out send me one.  i work in ithaca when college is out so i'm up there from may on.  later,  josh

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
feral bee hunting
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2005, 12:43:25 pm »
Hey Josh,
Thanks for the offer. I haven't checked out the tree yet. Never know, they might not have survived the winter.

There are a lot of us in this area, aren't there?
Lesli

Offline firetool

• House Bee
feral bee hunting
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2005, 12:56:16 am »
I got the pictures back and they are not bad for the point and shot. I had to take them with my bee veil on so one of them is off center. When I go to scan them and save to disk, I will try to clean them up some.
 I was woundering, how do I go about posting them on the board? I have never done that before! Any help would be greatly appreciated!
 I can't wait to share them with you guys and gals.

Brian

Offline buzz

• House Bee
    • My home page... nothing much
feral bee hunting
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2005, 01:20:53 am »
Check out this page for instructions on how to post pictures.
Scott
----------
"If you have no money and you have few possessions, if you have a dog you are still rich"
----------
"Forgiveness is easier to get than permission"

Offline firetool

• House Bee
feral bee hunting
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2005, 09:56:51 am »
I have the pictures now. The one in the hot water is the first collony. they were easy. The next is the one in the wall they were more interesting to do.

Here is the one in the wall

I am sorry it did not get the whole image, my computer is so slow.

Brian

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
feral bee hunting
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2005, 12:02:59 pm »
darn,  I'd thought I had seen everything,  but a hive with domestic  hot water?   :wink:

Nice pictures,  always enjoy looking at where bees take up residence.  Thanks for sharing...
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison