Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Avatar  (Read 10338 times)

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« on: June 16, 2009, 02:21:28 pm »
I lost my avatar and cant get it back up. The browse thing is gone and I tried to type it in and nothing happend.
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Avatar
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 02:29:02 pm »
I lost my avatar and cant get it back up.
Sounds like a personal problem  :lau:

You linked to the picassa album.  You have to link to the picture. The link should end in .JPG
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 03:14:08 pm by Robo »
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 08:36:56 pm »
Don't feel bad Irwin, I did the same thing!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 04:27:42 am »
yes, my avatar is gone as well, and I see no way to browse to my pic on my hard drive. I do not have a pic posted in the internet to link to, so I'm faceless at the moment

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 08:59:20 am »
I have the same problem. I alway's used the browse to load my avatar.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 11:02:04 am »
I can't answer this in full because I don't know the full details, but we were attacked by a member (spammer who hit many forums) who had malicious code embedded in their avatar he uploaded. Robo had to (until there is a fix available) stop image uploading directly from Hard drives, not sure if that includes those also stored on websites?

I hope he can explain better, or if images can be sent to the photos@beemaster.com link can be used - I honestly don't know. Just trying to explain why some avatar options have change - again until a fix is found to protect certain images from trying to crash and burn the forum. It is obviously one of those things where hackers are always looking for a new way to cause havoc.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 11:59:28 am »
OK,  let me try again.

As stated previously, the option to upload an avatar from your computer has been removed as it was used to upload a script to hack the forum.   You can still have a personalized avatar, but the image must be hosted somewhere else (ie. ImageShack, Picassa, etc) and linked to.

Use the I have my own pic: option and put the link to the image in the field.

Note: This is a link to the actual image,  NOT the hosting webpage showing the image.  The link should end with .JPG, .jpeg, or .jpg   If you use Firefox,  you acan right click on the image displayed on your host webpage and select Copy Image Location  and then do a paste in the field.  Other browser have the same option with a slightly different option name.

rob...
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 03:31:05 pm »
Still having a problem Rob this is what I put up.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Pictures\ImageStudio\Album\Pictures and Videos\Picture 85.jpg

I did the cut copy paste thing is that where I'm going wrong.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 06:24:19 pm »
Irwin, when you get this figured out let me know. For some reason its a royal pain with the picasa site.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 06:28:53 pm »
mine is linked off picasa and has not been a problem.  how is it not working for you JP?

irwin, link your avatar from a web site like picasa, not from your personal computer....after JP lets you know what is not going right. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 07:05:48 pm »
Kathy I did and all I got was a white box with a red x in it.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 08:30:36 pm »
you uploaded your avatar to picasa online and then linked to it?  that's what i did and it worked fine.  maybe you'll have to try a different online picture host site?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2009, 03:48:55 pm »
Need avatar help. The link is.
 ImageShack

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2009, 04:12:46 pm »
Sparky,you need to upload the image as a jpeg,not a suffix that end the link in .png
I think i have it fixed for you. ;)

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2009, 08:54:48 pm »
Yes you did. Thanks!!! Buzzbee.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2009, 05:55:14 pm »
Two hours of trying and you can see how far I got a red x in a white box I did every thing Robo said. I cut copy paste no go hand type no go. I give up :oops:

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2009, 08:00:50 pm »
I did every thing Robo said.

No you didn't.   You keep trying to link to Picasa page and not an image file.   The link must end in .jpg  I tried to fix it for you, but the page you link to does not have any public albums so I can not see the picture anyway.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2009, 08:52:51 pm »
irwin, go to your online picasa album.  click on the picture you want.  the link is on the right.  don't use the address at the top of the page.  tick the image only box, then copy and paste the embed image address to your profile.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2009, 01:08:43 pm »
Finely figured it out :-D This is what I did went into picasa pulled up the pic double clicked on it then the link to it was on the right hand side Embed image then down below it there are two box's click on the image only (no link) box then cut copy paste the link in the Embed image Then paste it in I have my own pic. I hope this may help some other thick headed person like me. Thank's for all your help Robo and Kathyp :-*

anything