Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bouncing windows  (Read 9545 times)

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Bouncing windows
« on: July 09, 2009, 02:10:21 am »
Is anyone having the same problems I'm having?
When I go to answer a thread, especially if I use the quote function, after about 10 lines the window refuses to follow the typing down the reply window like it has in the past.  Instead I get a continuous bouncing that as I type jumps up and down with each key stroke.  The  reply window will only display those 1st 10 lines, regardless of how long the entry is.  It is very frustrating trying to answer someone's question(s) and not be able to read what is being typed.

The 2nd issue is that now when I click on the post button, while answering a question, it automatically kicks down to show my just completed entry on the thread.  Previously, when posting a reply, the subject thread would appear showing the 1st page of that subject.  Previously, If I had posted and answer under the Greetings Subject the screen would return to the face page of the Greetings Subject showing me the new postings.  Now I just see what I had just posted. 

Are both of these "problems" updates to the forum made by the moderators?  I can see the sense to viewing your most recent posting instead of going back to the index page but the Preview button allows for the same thing so I think the way it is operating now is redundant, unneeded, and aggrivating.  The bouncing screen is just plain aggrivating.

Another thought, is the problems I'm having a result of some change I may have mistakeningly made in my view options?
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline homer

• House Bee
Re: Bouncing windows
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 01:05:33 pm »
When I go to answer a thread, especially if I use the quote function, after about 10 lines the window refuses to follow the typing down the reply window like it has in the past.  Instead I get a continuous bouncing that as I type jumps up and down with each key stroke.  The  reply window will only display those 1st 10 lines, regardless of how long the entry is.  It is very frustrating trying to answer someone's question(s) and not be able to read what is being typed.

Yes, I'm having this problem as well.  Not all the time, but it is sure annoying when it happens.

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 03:33:36 pm »
Its been happening to me for the last month as well.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 01:01:20 am »
I have observed that this bounce affect only happens after I have used the insert quote option.  After inserting the quote only the top line or 2 of the answer will show and every additional line will bounce with each key stroke.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 01:19:19 am »
It happens to me no matter what. If its a short post then its fine but if it gets to be a couple of paragraphs then it starts bouncing. It happened to me again today.
Its extremely frustrating.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 12:00:01 am »
Brian:

I just experienced this problem on my Samsung N120 using Internet Explorer 8 which I just downloaded yesterday - my gosh it is annoying, you cannot tell what you are writing, you can only see stuff the line above the line you are typing on.

I have been posting large long posts with same computer using Explorer 6X with absolutely no troubles. I just tried another post using Google Chrome with no problems. I think it is a bug issue between Explorer 8 and the SMF software. I think it might only happen with certain fon't sizes or if you resize your screen using the center mouse and right CTRL key. Just some thoughts - but I'll be using Chrome if this keeps up.

Let me know if you still have issues, I'm curious. If you fixed it, let me know how. Thanks.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 12:28:53 pm »
happening to me as well, quite a bother.
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 12:43:31 pm »
Yeah me too. I gave up posting last night and went to bed because I couldn't deal with it anymore.
It bounces so much you lose your place while you are typing, mine will bounce and then go back to the top line and you have to go back and find where you were.

Offline lakeman

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 02:05:07 pm »
Is anyone having the same problems I'm having?

The 2nd issue is that now when I click on the post button, while answering a question, it automatically kicks down to show my just completed entry on the thread.  Previously, when posting a reply, the subject thread would appear showing the 1st page of that subject.  Previously, If I had posted and answer under the Greetings Subject the screen would return to the face page of the Greetings Subject showing me the new postings.  Now I just see what I had just posted. 

Are both of these "problems" updates to the forum made by the moderators?  I can see the sense to viewing your most recent posting instead of going back to the index page but the Preview button allows for the same thing so I think the way it is operating now is redundant, unneeded, and aggrivating.  The bouncing screen is just plain aggrivating.

Another thought, is the problems I'm having a result of some change I may have mistakeningly made in my view options?

Mine had did it once before a year or so before, then straightened out then started again recently. I checked, and found out I was usinf e-8, and I had not downloaded it from the old, but having vista, and set up for automatic updating for vista and microsoft word, it must have automatically updated e to 8 also.
Because I used to be forum administrator, and quite active in some forums in the past, and got disgusted with working for quite some time to type out a rather long, and sometimes clever message to post, only to lose it by one little mis-hit on I do not know which key, that I accidentally hit, and/or for I do not know what reason, I came up with a method to avoid this.
If I am anticipating composing a lengthy post, and/or one I do not want to lose just upon completing, but before posting, I will first type it out in "WORD PAD", then copy and past into the post.
I have composed this present message, and because of the problems presently being discussed, I will copy it, and just past under the quote, and then post .
I am my own biggest critic!

Offline lakeman

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 02:05:57 pm »
See it works, Ha Ha
I am my own biggest critic!

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2009, 02:14:48 pm »
I've experienced no such problems using the firefox browser on windows (or linux).  I'm not a microsoft fan.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2009, 06:34:21 pm »
I've found the problem to have begun after I purchased a new computer with Vista installed before that I had been using XP with e7 and had no problems.  I have refused to download e8 on top of Vista in the belief it will only make things worse. 
Anybody have the New W7 and does that have the hippy hop screen too?

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2009, 07:19:00 pm »
i have vista and IE8 on here and no problems.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2009, 08:13:10 pm »
Brian:

I use 4 computers almost daily, and you are right, it is an (Explorer using Vista) issue, same surfing and posting with Google Chrome and Firefox, no issue here, although I know the bug is a Vista thing in the programming with Explorer - I know the problem you speak of, it will drive you nuts, bouncing and especially since what you are typing is OFF SCREEN - I feel your pain.

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline homer

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2009, 10:11:33 pm »
Brian:

I use 4 computers almost daily, and you are right, it is an (Explorer using Vista) issue, same surfing and posting with Google Chrome and Firefox, no issue here, although I know the bug is a Vista thing in the programming with Explorer - I know the problem you speak of, it will drive you nuts, bouncing and especially since what you are typing is OFF SCREEN - I feel your pain.

Not to burst your bubble, but it happens to me all the time and I don't have vista.  I use IE 7 and Windows XP Pro.  Just an fyi....

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2009, 10:20:04 pm »
No bubble bursted! It just didn't happen to me, still sounds like IE is the bugger though!

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2009, 03:39:25 am »
Happens to me all the time.  :-x It is so annoying. I use Vista and IE8

For long posts I do these in ms word and copy and paste them

Mick

anything