Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: wax moths late in the season  (Read 2797 times)

Offline Kevin Goats

• New Bee
wax moths late in the season
« on: November 03, 2009, 03:46:33 pm »
I have a hive that has one deep,one medium and one more medium for feeding. The deep is full of brood and honey, but the medium has just a few frames of honey ( that's why I am feeding them).I was in the hive last night and found a wax moth in the feed area. The hive is not very strong and it's late in the season. I need to feed the bees because of the lack of honey. Does any body have any suggestions?  P.S. I live on the coast of Texas so the winter is mild normally.

Thanks for all of ya'lls help, Kevin

Offline John Schwartz

• House Bee
    • The Bee Farm
Re: wax moths late in the season
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 03:50:03 pm »
I'd keep feeding them or, better yet, combine them with another hive if you have 'em. If weather allows, I'd also do quick search and destroy any wax-moth and larvae you can find... might help some.

-John
―John Schwartz, theBee.Farm

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 09:21:06 pm »
You say they are not very strong. If you only have 5 frames of bees in the brood box and the other frames just have a few on them, you need to remove the medium, freeze and save the honey frames for feeding back to them as needed. I am assuming the top medium is just an empty box to cover a feeder. And yes, I have used med. frames in a deep for feeding in the winter. Consolidation of bees is the best defense I have found for most intruders. From your description, it sounds like you found a moth in the top box, the bees may have kept it run up there. It only takes a about a week for the worms to ruin a weak hive. Keep a close eye on it. I have moths and SHB here year round. Just remember moths won't/can't take over even a 2 frame nuc if there are enough bees to patrol it. As long as the queen is laying well, I prefer consolidation to combining.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline Kevin Goats

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 09:37:01 pm »
Consolidation of bees is the best defense I have found for most intruders

I am getting into the hive in the afternoon and see. I like the idea of condensing them. Thanks

Offline John Schwartz

• House Bee
    • The Bee Farm
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 11:58:43 pm »
Great notes, Rast! Learning....

You say they are not very strong. If you only have 5 frames of bees in the brood box and the other frames just have a few on them, you need to remove the medium, freeze and save the honey frames for feeding back to them as needed. I am assuming the top medium is just an empty box to cover a feeder. And yes, I have used med. frames in a deep for feeding in the winter. Consolidation of bees is the best defense I have found for most intruders. From your description, it sounds like you found a moth in the top box, the bees may have kept it run up there. It only takes a about a week for the worms to ruin a weak hive. Keep a close eye on it. I have moths and SHB here year round. Just remember moths won't/can't take over even a 2 frame nuc if there are enough bees to patrol it. As long as the queen is laying well, I prefer consolidation to combining.
―John Schwartz, theBee.Farm

anything