Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive stands need them!!  (Read 15024 times)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Hive stands need them!!
« on: July 03, 2008, 03:53:47 pm »
I want to share this photo with you all because a very good friend made them for me. Well he has moved far away and now I need some more hive stands like this. I was wondering if anyone knows where I can purchase a stand like this. I am not handy and they would need to be assembled,or at least something that would be easy to assemble with instructions. They are good sturdy stands and you can see how the hive sits down in the stand on a recessed lip of wood, making it so strong.

What do you think??

Thanks Annette

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
Re: Hive stands need them!!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 04:11:28 pm »
those suckers sure do look solid :shock: no doubt about it.
sorry I do not know where you might be able to order any though.

Keith

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
    • http://www.myoldtools.com
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 04:27:15 pm »
Wow, I thought they were truck stands, not hive stands :).  Most any handyman type should be able to reproduce them.  I couldn't afford to put all of my hives on those.  Another option is a treated 4x6 available at any Home Depot/Lowes/lumberyard.  Have them cut it into 20" or so lengths for you if you want individual stands, or leave it 8' long if you want a row of hives.  Two sticks about 16" apart (one at the front, one at the back) make a stand 5.5" high. 
www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 05:17:42 pm »
They look like the ones a lot of European's use.  I don't know of any commercial place here in the US that sells them.

rob....
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 11:36:52 pm »
 Annette, even if I made em for ya for free, I don't think you would want to pay the freight on em from Fl. Be cheaper to have some local handyman make em for you. The secret is find free scrap lumber.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 01:27:46 am »
I may have to find someone locally to just make them for me. It will be expensive for sure. These are made of redwood.

Thanks for the information guys,

Annette

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 08:25:35 am »
Annette, I bet you're handier than you realize. May I make a suggestion, why don't you hire someone to go with you to home depot or wherever, with the dimensions of the wood for your stands to be cut, then y'all go back and let them show you how to put them together.

You know the saying, give a man a fish and he eats for a day, show him how to fish...

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 09:13:55 am »
You know the saying, give a man a fish and he eats for a day, show him how to fish...

And he capsizes the boat and drowns  :?
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 09:18:53 am »

Exactly!! ;) :-P

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline jimmyo

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2008, 10:03:52 am »

Exactly!! ;) :-P

"teach him to fish with dynamite and the whole village gets to eat." 
Save a tree and use concrete blocks for a hive stand. they are cheap and they never rot and fall over.
Jim

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2008, 01:28:39 pm »
Yes, I know the concrete blocks are an option and they may be what I will go with for now on. I will go to Home Depot and look and see what the concrete blocks looks like.

thanks to you all.

Annette

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2008, 01:33:13 pm »
Annette, I bet you're handier than you realize. May I make a suggestion, why don't you hire someone to go with you to home depot or wherever, with the dimensions of the wood for your stands to be cut, then y'all go back and let them show you how to put them together.

...JP

JP for now on, I will watch and observe more how things are put together so I will not be so helpless.

The only problem is, I do something once and then forget how it was done. If I was doing this same thing over and over again, boy I sure would learn. My friend who built these for me, showed me how to put together the brushy mt supers I received in the mail. I actually did all the drilling myself and put them all together under his experienced eye.  But next time, I wonder if I will remember which drill bit to use, etc. It is just a fear of doing something I am not used to doing. I was brought up to be a "princess", and I have been unlearning this my whole life.

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2008, 02:59:38 pm »
Annette I am good @ the "monkey work" as long as I'm shown how.  I mark my things w different nail polishes or paints, keeping in mind a color for each type of project so all I have to do is remember chix, orange or bees white..I also try to get a system, always doing the same steps in same order so I don't forget. You are much more "handy" than you know, you just have to find how YOU learn & remember (maybe even writing it down) even if it's unorthodox or others snicker in the background..I always end up saying (in a strident voice) "FINE!!  keep laughing at me & you can do it!!" :evil: We all have different gifts & strengths,so just have to find what works for each of us.  My Husband looks @ a plant & it turns brown..can't observe animal "language" to see whats happening next or what he did to elicit a certain reaction.  I wig out mechanical things all the time, sometimes just walking past.  You guys out there would have a field day laughing @ me trying to use such things or build something!  Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2008, 04:31:47 pm »

...JP

JP for now on, I will watch and observe more how things are put together so I will not be so helpless.

The only problem is, I do something once and then forget how it was done. If I was doing this same thing over and over again, boy I sure would learn. My friend who built these for me, showed me how to put together the brushy mt supers I received in the mail. I actually did all the drilling myself and put them all together under his experienced eye.  But next time, I wonder if I will remember which drill bit to use, etc. It is just a fear of doing something I am not used to doing. I was brought up to be a "princess", and I have been unlearning this my whole life.

Aaaaaah, Princess, I just may have to talk to Dallas now, think we found your pet name, heehee.

Annette, if you want individual stands its hard to beat a few cinder blocks. They are cheap and you can set them up in say, 10 seconds, ok perhaps I'm exaggerating a bit, 12 seconds tops!!

Of course they don't look as pretty as the ones you showed us but easy and cheap is hard to beat, hey I think I just described Rob!!! :-* :-* :-* :-D

Oh shoot!! He can edit anything I write, dang!!! ;) :shock:

...JP

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2008, 11:45:57 pm »
Yeah!  I am just spoiled with those beautiful stands my friend build. (how dare he get married and move away). But It's cinder block time for me now.

I have been called "Princess" many times in my life (in fact by the same guy who built me those hive stands). I am in denial about it, and I truly believe I am making efforts to change. But then again, I just love it when I can get a man to help me with something.

Taking up beekeeping is one of the things in my life that has helped me to change myself. Like I said in an earlier post maybe last year, I used to spend endless hours just shopping at malls and spending money. Now I hardly even get dressed up, except to go to work, and I am so used to being hot and dirty from working with the bees. Some days I even forget to put my jewelry on (!!!Heavens!!)

I am much happier now than I have ever been.

Take care
Annette

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2008, 11:52:59 pm »
Annette, get ya some blocks and be done with it. Sometimes simple is better, Princess! ;)

...JP

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2008, 01:09:00 am »
Blocks don't look that good though... and those stands are easy to make.

PS - Annette, if you still need them, I could make them for you.  You're a bit far to pick them up, so you'd have to pay shipping.  I could do one for you at just the cost of shipping if you don't mind pressure treated wood for the legs, but any more than one, or if you wanted non-treated legs, I'd need to charge you for the wood, too.  I would need a couple of measurements off the ones you have in order to make them identical as well... just need total height, length and width.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2008, 12:23:47 am »
Annette I am good @ the "monkey work" as long as I'm shown how.  I mark my things w different nail polishes or paints, keeping in mind a color for each type of project so all I have to do is remember chix, orange or bees white..I also try to get a system, always doing the same steps in same order so I don't forget. You are much more "handy" than you know, you just have to find how YOU learn & remember (maybe even writing it down) even if it's unorthodox or others snicker in the background..I always end up saying (in a strident voice) "FINE!!  keep laughing at me & you can do it!!" :evil: We all have different gifts & strengths,so just have to find what works for each of us.  My Husband looks @ a plant & it turns brown..can't observe animal "language" to see whats happening next or what he did to elicit a certain reaction.  I wig out mechanical things all the time, sometimes just walking past.  You guys out there would have a field day laughing @ me trying to use such things or build something!  Jody

Jody,

Thank you for trying to inspire me to be more handy. I will keep an open mind and think positive thoughts that I can do anything I want. I know that I can probably learn most anything, but as I mentioned in this post, if I do not keep doing the same thing over and over, I will forget. Especially when it comes to using tools. I never picked up a tool in my life until I started beekeeping. I usually purchase everything assembled. But I like your system of writing things down. That is something I need to do also.

Take care Jody
Love
Annette

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2008, 12:25:05 am »
Blocks don't look that good though... and those stands are easy to make.

PS - Annette, if you still need them, I could make them for you.  You're a bit far to pick them up, so you'd have to pay shipping.  I could do one for you at just the cost of shipping if you don't mind pressure treated wood for the legs, but any more than one, or if you wanted non-treated legs, I'd need to charge you for the wood, too.  I would need a couple of measurements off the ones you have in order to make them identical as well... just need total height, length and width.

Wow!! This is a very generous offer and yes I am interested. I will PM you with details.
Annette

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2008, 12:41:20 am »
annette, they look like something you could build.  can you take measurements and reproduce??. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.