Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive stands need them!!  (Read 15025 times)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Re: Hive stands need them!!
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2008, 12:51:38 am »
annette, they look like something you could build.  can you take measurements and reproduce??. 

This would definitely be beyond anything I can do KathyP. I would have to have someone help me every step of the way.

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
  • Little honey bee in flight
    • Photo Album
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2008, 01:32:13 am »
Well I dont know how to make those but I got something that I use that works great, get some nice sized treated wood, thick enough to hold up hives.
its messy but you get the idea...

take 5 cinder blocks on each side, two long side down, three standing up, run the wood through it, and you should be able to fit up to 3 hives on it.
"I have never wished to cater to the crowd, for what I know they do not approve, and what they approve I do not know." - Epicurus.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2008, 10:42:35 am »
RR ties :-).  can't get much easier than that!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2008, 10:54:04 am »
Yes RR ties but only if you have someone to help you drag em around..they are pretty heavy by yourself! :shock: They do stay put forever & don't wiggle or even move much during an earthquake!  Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2008, 11:15:31 am »
Yes RR ties but only if you have someone to help you drag em around..they are pretty heavy by yourself! :shock: They do stay put forever & don't wiggle or even move much during an earthquake!  Jody

I use 4 x 4's and cinder blocks, works for me.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2008, 03:12:24 pm »
my big green machine with the front loader moves mine.  all i have to do is roll them onto the scoop.   ;)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2008, 07:31:08 pm »
my big green machine with the front loader moves mine.  all i have to do is roll them onto the scoop.   ;)
Kathy I'm "green" with envy!!  Oh how I could use one of those, the things I could do...!!   :roll:  Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline octagon

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2008, 09:09:31 am »
I may have to find someone locally to just make them for me. It will be expensive for sure. These are made of redwood.

Thanks for the information guys,

Annette

i would have the legs made about 8 inches higher so they could set in cans of oil if ants are a problem.JMO

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2008, 12:04:05 pm »
I do not have any problems with ants. The first year I placed my hive table in cans of oil and many bees drowned in that oil. So I never place anything that can catch liquid so close to the bees.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2008, 12:49:55 pm »
I do not have any problems with ants. The first year I placed my hive table in cans of oil and many bees drowned in that oil. So I never place anything that can catch liquid so close to the bees.

Annette, you can smear grease on the legs to keep the ants out, doesn't have to be liquid, only thing is you have to reapply it occasionally.

Some swear by Cinnamon, I'm not sure how well it works myself and you have to reapply it as well, but for someone who has bees right in their backyard reapplications aren't  a problem.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2008, 01:21:11 pm »
Yes, I have heard about using the grease, but I have used cinnamon also and it worked great. I really do not have much trouble with the ants. Just sometimes in the beginning of the season, but not in the summertime.

Take care
Annette

Offline contactme_11

• House Bee
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2008, 09:41:50 pm »
Blocks don't look that good though... and those stands are easy to make.

PS - Annette, if you still need them, I could make them for you.  You're a bit far to pick them up, so you'd have to pay shipping.  I could do one for you at just the cost of shipping if you don't mind pressure treated wood for the legs, but any more than one, or if you wanted non-treated legs, I'd need to charge you for the wood, too.  I would need a couple of measurements off the ones you have in order to make them identical as well... just need total height, length and width.

If you still need help I would be willing to do the same for you

anything