Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mann Lake uncoated plastic foundation  (Read 6452 times)

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
Mann Lake uncoated plastic foundation
« on: January 12, 2011, 02:34:25 pm »
I am contemplating buying said foundation in 4.9 cell size.  I have lots of wax.  Is there a practical way of coating them short of spraying wax on?  I can't imagine how to do that and dipping or painting wax on both sound like a disaster movie plot.  Any knowledge on this appreciated--or is it even really neccessary.  I know that if you put foundation on with a good honey flow on, it gets drawn.  Thoughts please.

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
Re: Mann Lake uncoated plastic foundation
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 02:40:32 pm »
....paint roller.

we've used the wax coated version, which has a very small amount of wax on it, and they are accepted by the bees very, very well.

deknow

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 07:07:37 pm »
I posted a video of how we do it somewhere on here a few months ago...basically the same way as John.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 08:15:38 pm »
Thanks Allen!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 09:11:40 pm »
Vance, I would avoid trying to paint on wax.  Been there, done that.  I painted 20 of my Mann Lake 4.9s last year as an experiment.  I didn’t see any change in acceptable and it took me FOREVER to paint the things.  When you paint, it’s hard to prevent the wax from filling up each little cell.  That means you go through a lot of wax (expense) when you try to paint.  It’s just not worth the time and $$. 

Being small cell, my bees were a little slow taking to the 4.9 stuff, but they did eventually build beautiful comb.

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 09:18:02 pm »
Bluebee, How well do you like those frames?  Are they stiff enough to suit you?  Wil they hold up?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 09:39:04 pm »
There isn't much wax on the frames.  They work fine.  You'd have to dip or paint them I guess if you want to do your own wax.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 09:50:02 pm »
the plastic frames are the only ones that I have , except for the ones that cam e in the nuc. I must say that the wax that the manufacturer put on was not enough ( or seemed not enough) for the bees they would not take to it. I had to add wax with one of the foam paint rollers which worked well and then the bees accepted them and move the wax where they wanted it. I think it was hardwood that gave the the idea to roller the wax

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 10:02:10 pm »
Vance, I’m using the PF-120/125 plastic frames (mediums).  When I saw you mention Mann Lake 4.9 cell size, I assumed you were talking about them.  I’m happy enough with the PF mediums.  They’re rigid enough for my hobbyist needs any my bees work them.  I would be more worried about the deep versions though since they would seem more apt to warp and distort (due to the larger surface area).  I don’t have any experience with the deeps.   Maybe somebody else will chime in.

The whole reason I went to plastic was to avoid all the time it takes to put together wood frames.  This is why I really hated trying to paint the darn things, it just took too long.  Like Michael Bush says, the PF frames/foundation come with a very light coating of wax, which seems to be enough. 

I really liked the videos Allen attached.  Although they were just dipping foundation itself, I suppose that process would also work for a PF frame/foundation combo if you really wanted to add more wax. 

Offline Dave360

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 10:07:14 pm »
Great videos thanks allen

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 10:52:27 pm »
I might add that the Mann Lakes PF have a VERY thin coat of wax on them.  I would almost call it a mist! 

Yes, it could be contaminated to some degree (I have no idea) but if so, there isn’t very much of it!  The amount of wax on a PF frame is probably only 1/20 to 1/50 that of conventional wax foundation.  Although just a wax mist, my bees will work the frames without additional waxing.

As for getting the bees to work them, if you have 5.3mm bees, they may be slow to work 4.9mm frames no matter how much wax is on them.   It may be more a factor of time and regression of your new brood to 4.9mm bees.  Michael’s web site has lots of info on this.   

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 11:06:51 pm »
I run the PF-120's, 800 of them.
I give each a light swipe of hot wax with a 4 in, foam roller, can roll both sides with one dip.
Never timed it but only a few seconds apiece.

Good acceptance no problems.

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "