Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Is boric acid dangerous to honeybees?  (Read 36645 times)

Offline cundald

• House Bee
Is boric acid dangerous to honeybees?
« on: March 05, 2009, 06:39:13 pm »

I have checked the web and the forums but can not find the answer to this question.

I am not looking for opinions but documented conformation.

cundald
The first step in the acquisition of wisdom is silence, the second listening, the third memory, the fourth practice, the fifth teaching others.
Solomon Ibn Gabriol

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
Re: Is boric acid dangerous to honeybees?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 07:56:19 pm »
I'm not a researcher or scientist so the only documentation is a google search. I in no way endorsed any of these sites but here you go.

http://www.getridofthings.com/get-rid-of-bees.htm

http://livingwithbugs.blogspot.com/2007/01/borate-boric-acid-compounds-for-insect.html

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 09:33:48 pm »
Yes,

Boric Acid acts as an insecticide to most insects.
From Wikipedia:
Boric acid was first registered in the US as an insecticide in 1948 for control of cockroaches, termites, fire ants, fleas, silverfish, and many other insects.[6] It acts as a stomach poison affecting the insects' metabolism, and the dry powder is abrasive to the insects' exoskeleton.

Bees have exoskeletons.

From the EPA:
Boric acid was first registered as a pesticide in the U.S. in 1948.
Currently, 189 pesticide products are registered which contain boric acid or
one of its sodium salts as an active ingredient.

I doubt you will find a specific study on honeybees and boric acid as there probably has not been one done. What has been shown is Boric Acid is effective against insects with exoskeletons. Honeybees fall into that category. So do roaches and small hive beetles. So should sprinkle your hive with Boric Acid? No. You can create traps for SHB in your hives with Boric Acid as long as the bees can't get into the trap but he SHB can. You also don't want the Boric Acid to spill out of the traps.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
    • Organic gardening and Bee Services.
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 09:32:29 pm »
wow we use that stuff in the house........ but no more now!
To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 09:35:55 pm »
wow we use that stuff in the house........ but no more now!

There is a difference between using it in your house and in a hive. Boric Acid against roaches is the best product out there.

On humans who don't have exoskeletons, it is harmless. So in the house is great. In the hive not so much.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 09:39:23 pm »
we graywater and I don't want my girls playing in that stuff to be on the safe side....... my cats take care of the inside house
To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 09:50:55 pm »
Boric acid works by ingestion. A human would have to literally eat pounds of the stuff to be affected. As for as pesticides go, boric acid is one of the safest there is to use in your household.

Don, aka Fatbeeman uses it in conjunction with Crisco in corrugated cardboard and places it in the hive for shb control. It is mixed with Crisco to make a paste that they eat.

BTW boric acid is an ingredient in eye drops.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 12:28:00 am »
I use it in my cosmetics. It acts as an emulsifier binding the oils and liquids together. It is all natural stuff.

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 12:01:20 am »
I use it in my cosmetics. It acts as an emulsifier binding the oils and liquids together. It is all natural stuff.

Now we know why you have such a glowing smile  :lol:

Mick

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 12:51:05 am »
I notice that the 'get rid of stuff' guy makes no mention of calling a beekeeper...oh well.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 01:02:52 am »
I notice that the 'get rid of stuff' guy makes no mention of calling a beekeeper...oh well.

Which guy?

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 06:34:58 am »

Which guy?

I'm not a researcher or scientist so the only documentation is a google search. I in no way endorsed any of these sites but here you go.

http://www.getridofthings.com/get-rid-of-bees.htm ...

...that guy

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 03:45:01 pm »

Now we know why you have such a glowing smile  :lol:

Mick

That is very sweet of you Mick.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009, 12:26:47 am »
>I notice that the 'get rid of stuff' guy makes no mention of calling a beekeeper...oh well.

>Stop! Before you do anything about removing bees or removing bee nests, you should first attempt to contact a local beekeeper. There is a good chance they will get rid of your bees for free. Why? Because in the last few years wild honey bee populations have dwindled down to almost 3% of their estimated original population. Before resorting to bee killer, steps should be taken to remove the bees peacefully, without chemicals. Ask around your local co-op; someone is bound to know a beekeeper.

On the get rid of stuff guy page above!!!
John 3:16

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2009, 02:04:21 pm »

Which guy?

http://www.getridofthings.com/get-rid-of-bees.htm ...

...that guy

OOOOOOOOHH that guy got it.  you are right.

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2009, 02:05:35 pm »
>I notice that the 'get rid of stuff' guy makes no mention of calling a beekeeper...oh well.

>Stop! Before you do anything about removing bees or removing bee nests, you should first attempt to contact a local beekeeper. There is a good chance they will get rid of your bees for free. Why? Because in the last few years wild honey bee populations have dwindled down to almost 3% of their estimated original population. Before resorting to bee killer, steps should be taken to remove the bees peacefully, without chemicals. Ask around your local co-op; someone is bound to know a beekeeper.

On the get rid of stuff guy page above!!!
^^^ this is what i get for skimming and not reading when I see red over a raid can for honeybees.
egg is not an unfamiliar feeling on my face - I hear it's good for the complexion though.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2009, 03:00:23 pm »
>egg is not an unfamiliar feeling on my face

Been there done that more times than I can count :-D!
John 3:16

Offline matt

• Brood
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2011, 12:43:48 pm »
Boric acid is a main ingredient in silly putty.
Boric acid is "relataively non-toxic" to bees according to a gov pub, search "Reregistration eligibility decision Boric acid and its salts.
Boric acid and borax are not the same chemical.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2011, 01:13:38 pm »
Boric acid is also the best way to control flees in carpets. It is called Flee Stop and all is is boric acid in a very fine powder form. Works great, better than having the house sprayed once a month. Put it in your carpets, use a broom to get it deep down where the flees lay there eggs and it lasts for several years. Just remember to redo it when you replace a rug.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2011, 06:06:23 pm »

I have checked the web and the forums but can not find the answer to this question.

I am not looking for opinions but documented conformation.

cundald

Okay, the original poster asked for documentation.
Here you go.

http://www.culturaapicola.com.ar/apuntes/sanidad/40_manejo_destruccion_colmenas.pdf

In this study a concentration of 5% boric acid in a honey bait station was found to be toxic to bees.
Since boric acid was not the main item in this study it does not get the full attention but it does show that boric acid is toxic to bees. In this case it deals with the ingestion of boric acid and not the application for external exposure.

So lets make this clear. Boric Acid kills bees.

Sincerely,
Brendhan