Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cracked Corn for Bees?  (Read 2289 times)

Offline Stinger

• New Bee
Cracked Corn for Bees?
« on: April 04, 2005, 01:01:25 pm »
Sunday was a very pleasant day here in Northwest Ohio.  The girls were flying and it was good to be outside.  My neighbor called me over to show me something that was going on at one of the local bird feeders.  To my supprise there were bees working all over the feeder, focused on the cracked corn.  In fact the bees were actually burrowing through the feeder holes into the inside of the feeder and back out again.  I assume the starches in the cracked corn was what they were looking for.  Is anyone familiar with this or whatthey were collecting?

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
Cracked Corn for Bees?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2005, 01:21:44 pm »
Although I have never noticed it, I have heard of them gathering sawdust, varous dust from bird feeders, etc.  I don't know if they gather it in place of pollen until it is available, or for some other reason.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Cracked Corn for Bees?
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2005, 02:03:08 pm »
They are desperate for pollen.  Put some pollen out or, next best, some pollen substitute or whole soy flour.

Corn dust is not very nutritious
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything