Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Small Hive Beetle Lure???  (Read 7411 times)

Offline teebo

• New Bee
Small Hive Beetle Lure???
« on: April 07, 2011, 08:36:00 pm »
I may have stumbled on to something. Last week I cleaned the burr comb from between the hive bodies and supers, which had drone larvae and pupa in it. I also cleaned the boards under the screened bottom boards that had some pollen and other bits and pieces of debris, putting it all into a 1 gallon bucket. I started to clean the bucket, filling it about half full of water. Then I forgot about it for 4 days. today I when to finish cleaning the bucket and it had about 100 or so DEAD small hive beetles in it. I think I will start using this as a bait or lure to kill those evil small hive beetles. Has anyone else tryed this with similar result

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
Re: Small Hive Beetle Lure???
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 08:49:51 pm »
do you think the shb could have been IN the comb when you put it in the bucket??????
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich."  SpongeBob Squarepants

Offline teebo

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 09:24:16 pm »
there were about 5 or so that I had mashed

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 10:04:58 pm »
Was the debris and crap floating in the water or all over the bucket?   Sounds like a plan to try out.

Offline tina

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 05:46:23 pm »
i'm using DE beetle traps on the bottom board iwas putting DE in them but found that the beetles death throes were puffing some of the dust up through the top holes where the bees could get it     now i'm just using thick sugar syrup    it attracts them and they stay in the trap until you empty it

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 06:29:53 pm »
Whenever I render the old comb from cut outs the SHB gather in the buckets. A good hot bath in boiling water (rendering the wax) takes care of them for good and I can wear my evil little grin for a while :-D

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline tina

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 06:42:59 pm »
does anyone know how high up in the air they fly?  i have a mozzie screened pergola and was thinking of trying my hive in there with a bee vent up high

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 10:52:55 pm »
they will fly as hive as the entrance to a hive!!!  i know of an ob hive with a 12 foot pvc pipe entrance.  they get in there just fine.
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich."  SpongeBob Squarepants

Offline tina

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 11:15:56 pm »
thanks

Offline brooklynbees

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 12:22:00 pm »
I believe there's been research showing that a SHB produces a yeast that actually attracts more SHB to the hive. So, perhaps your bucket was producing or fermenting a bit and the beetles were attracted to the smell and ended up drowning in the water.

Your idea is worth exploring. Crush up a few SHB and larvae and ferment them in a bucket with water. Or how about using regular bread yeast like you find in the grocery store in packets in another bucket?  Maybe they will find that attractive.

Offline preston39

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 02:01:10 am »
Has anyone tried this;

Making Small Hive BeetleTraps with the "FatBeeMan"

Sounds sensible.
I'm  Preston