Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Massey Harris Tractor  (Read 6758 times)

Offline Dale

• New Bee
    • Northeastern PA Beekeeping
Massey Harris Tractor
« on: December 02, 2006, 04:20:35 pm »
Here is a picture of my tractor.  It is a 1952 Massey Harris 44.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 08:03:44 am by Dale »
Dale Richards
Dal-Col Apiaries
Drums, PA
www.hazleton.net/users/dalcol

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Massey Harris Tractor
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 09:45:07 pm »
Dale, wanted to look at your tractor, but could not open the icon.  Great day. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 11:01:49 am »
Nice picture Dale, gotta love tractors, something about them.  I see the tractor does not have a cab, is your climate dry where you live?  I think that I am a "farmer" deep down inside.  My roots go back to farming folk, my grandfather built his own house out of logs (he didn't have a tractor though) that he logged off his property and I loved to go there and spend time with them with my siblings.  My poor grandma, so many of my cousins and my siblings would go for weekends and stay with them.  I am sure thay probably sometimes had more than 10 little kids all running around, overnight.  They had an enormous log house that was kind of built in the shape of a square U, in the centre of the square U was an outside wooden porch that did not have a rough and that was where the rain barrel was kept to catch the rain for the inside cooking and bathing.  I remember the dipper that hung on this barrel, and the water was always felt so cool to drink on those hot summer days.  Now going to the outhouse was another thing, from the eyes of a child, that was a horrific place to go, it was very scarey, never forget that.  Those were very simple days, and I would long to be able to go back in time, to the days when life had not but a care.  We lived in the country too, but we had running water and a toilet.  My grandma had wood stoves that she cooked on, and this heated her house too.  I take my hat off to that woman who provided such a warm and loving environment to all her 26 grandchildren that were the first group that grew up when I was growing up.   There a a short break in time, and then a whole new batch of grandchildren came along, as us older grandchildren had grown up quite a bit, and my grandma's younger children grew up and had their children.  She was the "mother" of many.  She had 9 children in total.  Our family is enormous on that side, and when we have a reunion, we have a reunuion.  I remember being at my grandma's farm and one of my uncles, (he was a young teenager at that time), had built a treehouse, up about 30 feet in one of the old big leaf maples.  In looking back at some pictures recently of the farm, I never in my wildest dreams would have ever let one of my kids build a treefort that was so high up in the trees.  How did they survive this treefort?  I don't know, I don't remember any of my aunt's or uncles that still lived at home when I was tiny to have fallen out of it, guess they just knew how to handle their own bodies and were careful.  Yeeks!!!!  Have a great day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Dale

• New Bee
    • Northeastern PA Beekeeping
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 08:56:49 pm »
You said  -->I see the tractor does not have a cab, is your climate dry where you live?

Reply-->  Were talking 1952 here!  I think it has an umbrella somewhere.  It was actually used up until the late 1970's, then parked.  I got it running in July.  Still has some work to go, but I still put it into the local antique tractor show.  It skids logs for firewood just fine though!
Dale Richards
Dal-Col Apiaries
Drums, PA
www.hazleton.net/users/dalcol

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 09:51:49 am »
Dale, ha, ya, now 1952 was a good year for sure.  That is an old vehicle, nice that you can display it in antique show, and even nicer, you worked to get it running.  It looks in very good shape.  Great day. Cindi

Offline wvbee

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 01:32:30 pm »
That's a great tractor.  I used to bale hay with one like it when I was growing up in Minnesota.

Offline Bee Tree

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 10:30:46 am »
A 44 Massey exactly like yours was the first tractor I drove .  The first tractors I remember on my Dad's and Grand Dad's farm were three Massey 44s and one Massey 444.  I would like to get a 44 to put a mower on to mow our big yard.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 11:02:32 am »
Resurrected posts are cool.  Getting back onto the subject of tractors.  One day we will have a tractor.  When we were driving on our way up to my daughter's house, I saw many fellows driving down the side roads on tractors and wished it was me.  Something about a tractor is just a thing of beauty in my eyes.  I love to see them and watch people work these beautiful pieces of work.  Have a wonderful day, with good health.  Cindi

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2007, 07:14:23 pm »
Boy oh Boy I love tractors when I was a kid some time ago I would walk to school and Pass the Massey Fergusson tractor store. Now that walk is nothing but car dealers and strip malls what a Bummer I wish I had a place with a tractor
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2007, 09:42:26 pm »
Every man (or woman) should have three things. 1. a pickup truck 2. a work shop 3. a tractor.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2007, 11:34:19 pm »
Got a pick-up truck, workshop, but alas, no tractor (yet!!!!).  Best of this day, good health.  Cindi

Offline MarkR

• House Bee
    • My Photo Album
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2007, 10:40:07 am »
Yep, I'm still missing a tractor too.  Someday.

Mark

Offline Mr T-Bone

• New Bee
    • Briarhillfarms
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2007, 08:16:41 am »
I see the picture... Brings back some memories, my dad used one just like that till 1988, we baled a lot of hay with that beast. 8-)
"Do your duty in all things...You cannot do more; you should never wish to do less."
Robert E. Lee

http://briarhillfarms.bravehost.com/index.html

Offline beeginner

• House Bee
  • The swarm I hived
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2007, 08:05:46 pm »
Try this sight www.ytmag.com  im 1941 farmall a boy on there.