Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: SHB and Use of Hive Inner Covers  (Read 2524 times)

Offline jataylor

• House Bee
SHB and Use of Hive Inner Covers
« on: May 13, 2012, 05:41:50 pm »
:needhelp:  Just discovered that I've got SHB.  Saw them on the inner cover, so of course I went to the internet to do all the research I could.  Ran across an article out of Clemson Cooperative Extension that said "In beekeeping operations that have a history of beetle problems, it is recommended not to use hive inner covers or frame spacers as they provide additional hiding places for the beetles to hide and to avoid bee contact and imprisonment."  Wondering if I should forgo my inner cover.  Looking for any and all remedies to get rid of these devils. :needhelp:

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
  • Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
    • Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
Re: SHB and Use of Hive Inner Covers
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 05:48:50 pm »
Welcome to the club. I hate the little devils but still run inners. I find the inner makes for good sport to joust at them with the hive tool when I lift the top cover. ;)
I don't believe it would make a difference one way or the other, if anything I think it helps me to spot them up top where without it they might all be down on the bottom board or in the frames. I don't run spacers or rests but do think they are a hiding place and is just one more reason not to use them.
Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 07:19:23 pm »
I like the inner cover because they do hide there and I can find them easy.   If I find a few, smash them with my thumb, if I find a lot, I will come back with the torch and smoke them.  The whole lot.  Some bees will be loss during the BBQ.   

And if you run without inner covers, change over to migratory top.   Or you will not get your top off once the bees glue everything down.

Offline scdw43

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 12:10:26 am »
A strong hive can handle SHB's in most locations. A weak hive can handle SHB's as long as you don't give them more drawn comb than they can protect and cover. They won't bother foundation.
Winter Ventilation: Wet bees die in hours maybe minutes, no matter how much honey is in the hive.