Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Struggling hive, what to do?  (Read 9054 times)

Offline Jluker1126

• New Bee
Struggling hive, what to do?
« on: April 02, 2013, 10:43:17 pm »
I have a hive that was a late split. They did great all winter now seem to be struggling. They are only covering and using five frames. The brood pattern looks good and no indications of any problems. Any thoughts or suggestions on what to do. I have been feeding them since they didn't have much for stores and now giving 1 to 1 syrup.

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
Re: Struggling hive, what to do?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 10:49:04 pm »
Feeding and adding bees are the only 2 things I know to do.
Bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline rbinhood

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 10:58:42 pm »
With the nightime temperature getting warmer feed, feed, and feed some more (1:1 sugar water) and if you have a couple of strong hives add bees from them.  Then feed some more till they quit taking the 1:1.
Only God can make these two things.....Blood and Honey!

Offline Jluker1126

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 11:04:37 pm »
Can I add a frame from another hive bees and all? They won't fight?

Offline rbinhood

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 11:07:17 pm »
Smoke them real good, and if it is a warn day you can spray them with sugar water and add the frame.
Only God can make these two things.....Blood and Honey!

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 11:12:22 pm »
They have been struggling to gain momentum (or at least that's what it sounds like). They can only raise two new bees for every nurse bee they have so boost the young nurse bees by giving them a frame of emerging brood.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 11:18:37 pm »
5 full frames in the spring doesn't sound too bad. If the q is OK, I think you will see that hive explode with bees in the next few weeks.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Jluker1126

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 12:16:10 pm »
Thanks, a little reassurance help.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 12:58:34 pm »
Keep us updated on how they do in the next couple of weeks.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2014, 09:19:01 pm »
yes I have a week hive too

I'll feed them till they stop taking the syrup.

our flow has just started here. so. I am confidant she'll start laying lots more.

the new swarm I just caught seams buizzier than our second hive which we have had for a few weeks.

jay

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2014, 10:12:35 pm »
jluker, also look to see if there is a heavy pollen frame next to the brood. If so, move it out one space and add an empty frame in it's place. A queen will not skip a frame and lay in the next one. She will stay in that confined area all summer until the pollen is gone.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

anything