Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Moving hives in bee yard.  (Read 2150 times)

Offline derrick1p1

• House Bee
Moving hives in bee yard.
« on: October 01, 2008, 04:18:09 pm »
After reading the thread regarding hive destruction and vandalism, I'm  thinking of moving 2 of my 5 hives.  I've needed to move them as they are located in "odd" places.

3 of them are next to the south side of my shed.  The other 2 are 10 and 20 feet in front of them, respectively. (After a late night of driving/lifting, I just sat the hives down, thinking this would work fine, but this places the hives in full view of neighbors and car traffic. (and would open up some more yard space for another garden).

I would like to move these 2 near the others so they are hidden better. I only want to move them within the yard.  Doing so, should I just move them a foot a day for a couple of weeks to get them where i want them?  Or should I just move them all at once and then keep an eye out for "stragglers".
I won't let grass grow under my feet, there will be plenty of time to push up daisies.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Moving hives in bee yard.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 04:22:46 pm »
A foot at a time would be the safest way.  Or if you get a cold enough winter, just wait until a cold spell that will keep them from flying for a couple of weeks and then move them all at once.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Moving hives in bee yard.
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 09:59:26 pm »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin