Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Foundation making  (Read 5307 times)

Offline Barnabus

• New Bee
Foundation making
« on: July 13, 2005, 07:11:54 pm »
Hi:
Does anyone know of any links that would show the process of making foundation?
What about links as to where one could purchase to equiptment to mold foundation.
Our county and the county below us are thinking about purchasing the equiptment thus allowing each beekeeper to have the opertunity to mold there own foundation and hopefully same save money.
Barney

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Foundation making
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 07:36:17 pm »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline bill

• House Bee
Foundation making
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 11:18:07 pm »
I was given enough foundation to last a long time but when the time comes, I was wondering if you could not just make a casting with plaster of paris. I think I saw something about a hinged box with molded plaster of paris both sides. seems like that would be simple enough. but nothing is ever as easy as ity seems when you try it.
billiet

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Foundation making
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 11:39:50 pm »
I don't even like buying foundation, let alone, making it, installing it, wiring it etc.  I gave up and use all foundationless and the bees are healthier (no Varroa mites to speak of) and happier and I'm happier and work a lot less AND it's clean wax, small cell and costs me nothing.

I think all y'all work too hard.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Foundation making
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 09:47:45 am »
Quote from: bill
I was given enough foundation to last a long time but when the time comes, I was wondering if you could not just make a casting with plaster of paris. I think I saw something about a hinged box with molded plaster of paris both sides. seems like that would be simple enough.

"Keeping Bees" by John Vivian explains and shows the mold you describe.

Quote from: bill
but nothing is ever as easy as ity seems when you try it.

You hit the nail on the head,  I messed with try to build one (actually 3 by the time I gave up).

Thanks to Michael's  insite, I think my foundation days may be over.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline mark

• House Bee
Foundation making
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 06:17:23 pm »
you can use tin snips and cut a 3/4" strip of foundation  for the bees to use as starter strip.  i pull the short piece of wire out after installation. the bees finish it nice to the size cells they want.

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
Foundation making
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2005, 01:13:49 am »
The roller for making foundation cost over $1,000.00.
Ryan Horn

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Foundation making
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2005, 03:43:02 am »
Quote from: mark
you can use tin snips and cut a 3/4" strip of foundation  for the bees to use as starter strip.  i pull the short piece of wire out after installation. the bees finish it nice to the size cells they want.

I use a pizza cutter. NOTE: No wires in my foundation either.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Foundation making
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2005, 10:48:19 am »
If you go to a fabric store you can buy a rotary cutter for making quites the REALLY works nice, but I just use the pizza cutter also.  Or a pair of sharp scissors.
-------------------

Offline Jon McFadden

• House Bee
Foundation making
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2005, 09:47:35 pm »
Michael,
Thanks for posting the link to the foundation article.
I wondered how the foundation blanks could be made quickly. I just wish the rolling mill weren't so expensive.
Jon, N6VC/5

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Foundation making
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2005, 02:54:21 pm »
I'm sure Dadant and the rest have a mass production method for making blank rolls of wax.  Probably Hawley makes them (in Iola KS and has ads in every bee journal for the last few decades).  But you can make them pretty quickly.  I use a one by six (to make mediums) and just cut several the length I want the foundation and the one by six is already the right width.  Then I soak them in brine and dip them.  By the time I've dipped the last one, the first is ready to take off of the wood.  You can actually do a lot pretty quickly once you get a system going.
-------------------

anything