Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Gypsy Moth spraying with Btk  (Read 1305 times)

Offline charlotte

• House Bee
Gypsy Moth spraying with Btk
« on: May 05, 2009, 10:43:06 pm »
So, today I got a flyer in my mailbox saying that my area is going to sprayed for gypsy moths with low flying airplanes. It says they are using Btk (Bacillus thuringienis kurstaki) diluted in water. They will spray late morning into afternoon & is advising keeping livestock indoors if possible. I am planing on calling the hotline so I know for sure when they will be over our house & am going to keep my girls "locked in" just in case. 
Anyone have any knowledge of this stuff???  I figure it can't be good to have a bunch of liquid dumped on my foraging bees, even if it is safe.  :?
Sleep is overrated!

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
Re: Gypsy Moth spraying with Btk
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 11:00:43 pm »
From what i understand they did spraying my way but what they used was a pheromone to disruppt breeding.  Pretty sure it doesn't have any effect on bees but it would be worth checking into a little further.  But if it's the same stuff i was assured it wouldn't hurt my bees and i haven't had any problems.
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Gypsy Moth spraying with Btk
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 01:50:31 am »
Btk can be used in the hives for wax moths, it should have little effect on the bees unless it's a fair quantity.  Btk also disapate rather rapidly.  One flyover is usually done at evening or night.  A 2nd flyover is occasionally done a month or so later, but the spacing shouldn't be a problem either.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!