Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: ABJ article  (Read 4764 times)

Offline danno

• Super Bee
ABJ article
« on: January 03, 2011, 02:14:35 pm »
In the latest issue of ABJ there is a article about a gentalman that is overwintering single deeps in Ontario.  He is claiming that treatments are more effective which makes sense and he can control swarming better with early supering because the brood nest doesn't become honey bound.  He stated that he leaves about 50#s of feed and that this system is working well.   Anyone else ever try this in the north and how did it work for you

Offline backyard warrior

• House Bee
Re: ABJ article
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 06:48:00 pm »
Id really like for the senior keepers to post on this topic of discussion im all ears myself

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 09:36:58 pm »
It can be done.  Maybe Finski will chime in.

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 10:22:59 pm by rdy-b »

Offline backyard warrior

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 10:10:51 pm »
I have just read an article in the new Bee Culture according to the scientist he said that with all the problems with mites and bees dieing over the winter that it is best to over winter in the north with lots of stores and  large populations and low mite counts. This is what i have done as a first year beek. Im hoping that they come threw the winter healthy with lots of bees.

Offline scdw43

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 11:08:50 pm »
Michael Palmer overwinters 450 or more  4 frame nucs every winter in VT on the Canadian border.

Watch the video

http://www.yulesapiaries.com/VideosandPics.html
Winter Ventilation: Wet bees die in hours maybe minutes, no matter how much honey is in the hive.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 02:16:54 am »
I don't think Palmer is overwintering his full sized colonies in singles on 50 pounds of honey, though.  The nucs are probably on less but the full sized colonies are more...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 08:09:48 am »
Just read the same article.  I've never overwintered in deeps as I use only mediums these days, but I have had colonies survive and thrive in just two mediums (w/ a small feeder box filled with dry sugar on top).  I've got one that's in two right now, although they are more quiet than I'd like :( will be keeping my fingers crossed. 

I'm very interested in wintering in NUCs and plan on setting a couple up for next winter.  Our Brother and sister beeks in Canada seem to be doing well putting bees together in NUCS and wrapping for winter suvival.  I believe MB and MP also prepare their hives similarly, but may be mistaken.

Its 4 below zero here right now and although I believe our bees handle winters (relatively) well (about 70% success rate on average, sometimes more or less), I can see there are better methods availble to help insure (?) success with wintering in Northern Climates.

thomas
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline Course Bee

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 10:40:53 am »
I'm a first year beek with almost no experience but, I'm trying to winter 2- five frame nucs right now. A two deep which seems like it has a pretty good chance. The other is only 1 deep and I really have my doubts that it will make it, although it looks pretty good right now. We have a lot of winter left. It was -7 F this morning here.
Tim

Offline Yuleluder

• House Bee
    • Yule's Apiaries
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 10:56:21 am »
I have about 10 colonies going through winter that are in single deeps.  I also have a bunch in two high 5 frame nucs.  I have had good success with the latter.  We will see how the single deeps do in the spring.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 09:57:49 pm »
I've been overwintering eight frame medium nucs in one eight frame box.  But again, they are not full sized colonies.  This would not be enough stores for a full colony.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline ONTARIO BEEKEEPER

• House Bee
    • Dancing Bee Apiaries
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 02:33:24 am »

I over winter almost all my colonies the standard way in two boxes.  Of course I am always running my own experiments on a limited number of colonies. Last winter I put through 20 singles which did as well as the doubles.
 I also,  just to see had 2,  four frame nucs that I left for the winter. I was surprised when I saw them still alive in a late March warm spell.  The nucs did die before Spring, but I know that it was due to starvation. 
 I still run my colonies in doubles ( winter can be harsh even in Southern Ontario) ...... but my experience is starting to tell me all that really matters is at least 3 frames of bees with plenty of food.
 We had another local beek talk at our association.  He keeps about 1500 hives in Ontario all in singles.  When he was telling the group how he winters in singles,  all the old timers were scoffing, ( dis-believing that any would survive ). 
What I am starting to believe for cold climates is that 2 boxes is easier to ensure they have enough stores for winter....... but singles can work,  just they are much more tricky and require more management because you have to have just the right mass of bees in proportion to honey stores, or they starve.

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 09:51:00 am »
OntarioBeekeeper:  Thanks for the post.  Are you familiar with "the beeworks" organization there in Ontario?

Do you use Top AND Bottom entrances like several Ontario Beeks I know do?  I've been experimenting with squeezing my bees down to a smaller area for winter for a few season now and agree, 3-4 frames of bees with LOTS of feed, whether honey or sugar can work very well, no empty frames allowed in winter (a recent mantra).  Never tried just one box, but am going to try my hand at NUCs next winter, so one will have to suffice, and will from what info is available. 

I'm always interested in how those Beeks North of me are keeping bees.  Thanks again.

thomas

• House Bee
    • Dancing Bee Apiaries
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 07:15:35 pm »

Yes, I've met Dave from beeworks  a few times.

All my hives have an upper entrance.
Funny, I was just reading about some beekeepers in Saskatchewan who over-winter in singles, and then bury the colonies in snow for the winter.  Made me wonder how they would get out for cleansing flights on those rare warmer days.

Offline Countryboy

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 11:18:10 pm »
If you run bees as singles in the summer, they have smaller populations going into winter than hives ran as doubles.  Strong summer nucs can be allowed to expand and winter as a single ok.

I haven't read the article, so I am not sure of their exact management methods.  Are they putting a deep box under the single for wintering to give them clustering space?  Is he feeding the bees enough to add 50 pounds of stores, or is he making sure the hive has 50 pounds of stores?  (There is a difference.)

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 01:19:39 am »
As I've stated before on other postings, I've successfully overwintered bees in 2 story medium nucs. 

I have come to the conclusion that the cubic area within a hive can be a critical factor when overwintering bees.  The air around the bees gets warmed by heat generated by the cluster.  The free space within the hive acts like an antenuator, it draws heat from the cluster, the more space unoccupied space within the hive the more heat gets drawn away from the cluster.  The more heat drawn away from the cluster forces the bees to consume more energy to keep the cluster at the desired temperature.

Hence, a cluster in an 8 frame hive will consume less stores than a cluster in a 10 frame hive because of the less amount of free unoccupied space within the hive to drawn off the heat generated by the bees.  The same holds true for bees in either a deep nuc or a 2 story medium nuc. 
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 12:49:17 pm »
Brian D Bray Quote;  the more "unoccupied space within the hive the more heat gets drawn from the cluster."  "The more heat drawn from cluster forces bees to consume more energy."  That is the secret really, and why my mantra remains "no empty frames or boxes" allowed as part of my own winter preparation.  Thanks Brian.

thomas

• House Bee
    • Dancing Bee Apiaries
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 11:43:01 pm »

O.k here it is, check out this link     http://www.pedersenapiaries.sasktelwebsite.net/revisited.html
 Some interesting stuff!

Dancing Bee Apiaries

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2011, 10:34:36 am »
In the latest issue of ABJ there is a article about a gentalman that is overwintering single deeps in Ontario. 

That is favorit system among professional beekeepers in Finland.
Language barrier NOT included

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2011, 11:57:18 am »
Thanks for the link.

thomas