Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Sick Brood. Maybe Chalkbrood?  (Read 2358 times)

Offline YpsiBee2015

• New Bee
Sick Brood. Maybe Chalkbrood?
« on: July 09, 2015, 11:31:22 am »
I have a hive that I thought was quenelles for a couple weeks, and now, I found lots of young larva, eggs, and....A queen

But, I noticed some odd looking uncapped brood. It didn't smell off, and the larva weren't sticky/stringy like AFB when I pulled them out.

See attached pics. I was feeding 2:1 syrup, which I have since stopped.

-S

Offline YpsiBee2015

• New Bee
Re: Sick Brood. Maybe Chalkbrood?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 11:36:37 am »
Maybe EFB, now that I'm looking more.....

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 12:38:25 pm »
Pull them out.  It may be sacbrood.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 01:00:07 pm »
If it is Sac Brook, you will want to requeen.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline mtnb

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 12:50:48 pm »
Hi. I was actually able to get Mr. Bush's book through my local library (YAY) and in it he says that if you find white pellets in front of the hive that kind of look like small corn kernels, you probably have chalkbrood. On Wednesday I was over at a local beekeppers place looking at his hives. One of the hives he said he caught as a swarm and when I looked at the bottom board, I saw these little white pepples that I thought looked like bird poop. I wonder if that's what he has. Anyway, do you have those white pellets?

So what do you guys notice in the picture to make you think it's sacbrood? Do the larvae look a little dried out?
I'd rather be playing with venomous insects
GO BEES!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 10:21:52 am »
>So what do you guys notice in the picture to make you think it's sacbrood? Do the larvae look a little dried out?

It has the texture of sacbrood, at least it appears that way in the picture.  Sac brood looks like it's in a sack (hence the name) and it's kind of dried out, but not like chalkbrood where it is hard like a piece of chalk.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin