Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Egg Demand and Pricing  (Read 8705 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Egg Demand and Pricing
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2008, 09:12:58 am »
Angi, I don't think you ranted about the caponizing.  You have been that vet assistant and have clearly and very obviously seen some mistakes made in this act performed on the roosters.  I think that people just don't realize the depth of the surgical aspect of caponizing.  I am hoping now that more understanding has been given.  Rant like this any time you feel the need, it is that learning curve that we all need to learn about.  Have a wonderful, great day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline thomashton

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2008, 12:18:18 pm »
I agree. I won't try caponizing my birds. I just don't like the thought of actually cutting a bird open without anesthesia and removing the testes. A vet would never do that and most of the civilized world would be disguisted to even learn that it happens.

I however don't get on anyone's case for doing so. It is your flock and your birds. I prefer to feed them for 8-12 weeks and do it fast and easy with a single chop of the hatchet.
After 18 months of reading and preparation, my girls finally arrived on April 11th (2006)!

Offline Romahawk

• House Bee
    • http://www.romahawk.com
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2008, 01:56:43 pm »
I agree. I won't try caponizing my birds. I just don't like the thought of actually cutting a bird open without anesthesia and removing the testes. A vet would never do that and most of the civilized world would be disguisted to even learn that it happens.

Boy things sure have changed since Hector was a pup. Back in the 50's we injected a pellet into the back of the neck just below the comb. Just pull up a little flap of skin pop the pellet in and grab the next bird. Used to do hundreds of them in a very short time. Chemically neutered in a second with no discomfort to the bird.
Never let your education interfere with your learning" --Samuel Clemens

Offline Beekissed

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2008, 03:34:33 am »
I don't know if anyone answered the question about why freerange chicken's eggs are better.  They just have more of everything that is good in an egg!  I have a link somewhere that compares the nutrient levels but I can't find it right now!  You only have to crack a store-bought, cage-raised or even a so-called freeranged from the supermarket, next to a farm egg to notice the difference.  The yolks are a completely different shade of yellow.  The farm egg is so superlative in taste as to have no comparison to the pale, runny store-bought egg. 

My rooster is a valuable member of the flock, is a gentleman---neatly and quietly steps on to do his thing, never chases!, and takes good care of his ladies.  Immediately alerts to a hawk, sends the cat packing and gets everyone into the coop on time.  Having said that, I don't think I would have a rooster in town.  The less people notice your chickens, the better.  Neighbors can get mighty wicked in a town about "farm animals" living next door. 
"...he maketh me to lie down in green pastures..."

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2008, 08:00:29 am »
Here is a great article on free range eggs from Mother Earth News.

Here is a chart showing the nutritional test results for 2007. 

And finally, here is a page with great links on all things chicken courtesy of MEN.