Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The ficus tree aka let's see if the tree will collapse.  (Read 3804 times)

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
The ficus tree aka let's see if the tree will collapse.
« on: April 23, 2008, 09:25:55 pm »
I hate bees in trees. I really do. They are hard to get out and I almost never find the queen. There are just to many places for them to hide.

Now a ficus tree has a wrapped trunk. With lots of nooks and crannies. Which just end up as places for bees to hide.

Now this tree was special. It was basically dead. Dead tree have ants and termites and tend to fall apart.

This tree was special as in the short bus to school special. I started this cutout by cleaning most of the vines off of it. Now one way to turn nice bees into bad bees is to vibrate the hive.
A sawzall is very good at that. So here I am trying to cut an opening so I can access the comb. I was using a smoker and there was a nice cavity at the bottom of the opening where the bees were. I placed the smoker there. As I was cutting the tree started cracking in a bad way. Next way to upset the bees is drop the home. Having the tree disintegrate while doing a cut out is my idea of no fun. As I am dealing with the tree starting to fall apart. I notice a strange smell to my smoker. The heat from the bottom of the smoker had caught the saw dust at the bottom of the cavity on fire. Now the tree was starting to get ready burn and fall apart. And just for fun as I am dealing with bees that are already angry come ants that were living in the tree and they are running all the nest. Now the bees are just vicious.

I decided I was going to retreat and come back with more forces.

I came back a few days later and brought 4x4 posts and rebar. I spent about an hour placing posts and rebar behind the posts so I could cut the tree and hope it wouldn't fall apart on me as I was doing it.

I also took and cut a piece of honeycomb and dripped honey to the ground and waited a while while the ants and bees went and fought over the honey and potentially dead bees.
As the ants were attacking bees that came after the comb.

I decided to try and see if the menthol on my hands would keep bees off. It would until I started the sawzall and then they were all over them. So the gloves went on. I managed to cut out all the comb. I believe I got most of the bees. But I am not sure about the queen. 

The supports worked and the tree didn't fall apart on me when was a good thing.

Pictures can be seen here.
http://www.brendhanhorne.com/coppermine_dir/thumbnails.php?album=145

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Jingles

• New Bee
Re: The ficus tree aka let's see if the tree will collapse.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 10:38:31 pm »
Cool photos!

What an ordeal!!

Love, Marla

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 11:24:32 pm »
Boy Brendhan, you certainly had your obstacles on this one. A lesser man would have thrown in the towel. Termites, fireants, tree falling apart on you and a fire to boot. What next, a removal in a hail storm? Can't wait to see that one. You always seem to manage to find the most challenging hives for removals.

I had this picture in my mind what you were dealing with and the pics solved the riddle. Thanks as always for sharing.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 10:26:44 am »
Brendhan, yo the man!!!  What an interesting thing you have done, hee, hee. Keep up that good work, between you and JP you keep my mind hopping with cutout overload!!!  I wouldn't step into either of your shoes for even one day, nope not even a few moments of your days, you both be nuts!!!  Have the greatest of this wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 11:58:20 am »
Being from the north, I couldn't understand how a house plant could have a hive inside., until I saw the pics!!!! I was just assuming a hanging swarm!
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Jingles

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 12:21:51 pm »
Being from the north, I couldn't understand how a house plant could have a hive inside., until I saw the pics!!!! I was just assuming a hanging swarm!

I agree! That was the hugest ficus I've ever seen!!

Love,

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 06:44:13 pm »

I agree! That was the hugest ficus I've ever seen!!

Love,

Down here that is a very small ficus.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible