Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Requirements for selling honey in Victoria  (Read 7097 times)

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
Requirements for selling honey in Victoria
« on: May 03, 2010, 04:36:12 am »
Hey guys,

Anyone know what is required in Victoria for being aloud to sell your own honey (appart from the honey itself)?

If I get enough honey next year, I was thinking of trying to recoup some of the costs, or maybe buy that great .... I saw online the other day.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
Re: Requirements for selling honey in Victoria
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 08:11:50 pm »
I tried looking last night and this morning for a reference that i remember reading - it was from one of the state government websites- do you think i can find it now though! not a hope! from what i remember of it you need to do the following:

1) Have it tested
2) Do a safe food handling course (or atleast be registered in some way)

I'd suggest contacting the Health Department as they should be able to give you the information you need... on the other hand though it would be no different to a hobby vegie grower selling some of his excess produce at a Sunday market... i guess it depends on where, and how, you want to sell it...

Offline westmar

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 01:53:57 am »
hi 
    get on to some honey packers up he in QLD some of them buy off the hobbyist.you wont get the coin like you would selling it your self.try contact your local apiary officer for more detail es,

Offline Mardak

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 01:58:42 am »
Food handlers certificate, council permit, ABN, Analysis of honey labelling,

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 11:49:50 am »
Food handlers certificate, council permit, ABN, Analysis of honey labelling,

Hmm, sounds like a bit too much effort for the small amounts that I'm likely to handle.  :(

Offline westmar

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 07:10:05 pm »
hi
  phil you wont have any trouble getting ride of it.i gave a few samples away to Friends to try having trouble keeping it up for them.as a hobbyist her in QLD your aloud to sell so much before big brother jumps on you.i get my bottles of my bee keeping supplier plus labels,i then put my contact details on it.it say-es her in the latest beekeeping in Australia book.you can use good second hand bottles must be thoroughly cleaned old labels removed and replaced with your label and new lid.your next club meeting ask about they have no the go down there. ;)

anything