Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 2011 Package bees and queens price list  (Read 7675 times)

Offline Tyro

• House Bee
2011 Package bees and queens price list
« on: January 08, 2011, 11:25:46 am »
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Atst3AJ3ns2wdEpyYldDVGNRdWcyYzE5ZURSY0pJTmc&hl=en

To all,

Below is a link to the annual package bee and queen price list that I compile each year. It looks as though package prices have gone up again. Some things to note about the list:

1. I compile the list on my own each year for my personal use so that I can compare prices/costs/availability of products, etc. As such, the suppliers on the list merely represent those from whom I might consider ordering bees. Please do not interpret the absence of any particular supplier/queen producer as an evaluation of their services/product - likely, I either don't know about them, they can't get bees to me or it is simply an oversight.

2. The comments/experiences on the list are, again, my own. They are not intended as an endorsement of any one supplier/queen producer over another. They are merely my experiences with some of the vendors and the comments can (and have) changed over time as my experiences with vendors grows.

3. The list is still incomplete. Some of the larger suppliers (like Koehnen, for instance) have still not published their prices. As such, I will likely be updating the list through January.

4. If you are a queen breeder/package or nuc producer and you wish to be included on the list, please send me (through PM) the following info: Name, address, contact info (phone, email, website), breed of bees, products offered, prices and shipping to my zip (58601). I am mostly interested in vendors who are willing to ship bees/queens to my location.

Enjoy,

Mike

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Re: 2011 Package bees and queens price list
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 12:02:42 am »
That's a lot of information. Thanks for doing this work and sharing it with all of us. I have saved it.

Annette

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
    • Organic gardening and Bee Services.
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 01:09:01 am »
Agreed what a great list Thanks for sharing it.
To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...

Offline Stone

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 12:42:03 pm »
That's some list!  Thanks for posting it. Saves a lot of time for us newcomers.

Offline Dexterjc

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 03:21:14 pm »
wow, this is very useful to me. Thanks a bunch!

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 01:47:09 pm »
BTT
for a good list

Tommyt
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline Hemlock

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 02:42:58 pm »
Thank you for committing the time it takes to make such a good list. 
 X:X
Make Mead!

Offline Algonam

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 06:52:31 pm »
I am just learning this and was just searching this site to see how much it will cost to set up a hive with a queen package (or whatever it's called). Should I assume that my first order of bees will be the queen + a 3lb pack?....for each of my hives. I was planning on building 3 or 4. ..... or am I not correct.
Could someone give me some guidance? Thanks.
ps I am getting tired asking really basic questions .... but that is where I am at!!

Oh Canada!

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 07:03:36 pm »
You can get 2, 3 ,or 4 pound packages.   Most go with 3 pounds.   I do not know about up there, but here, we would pay $63.50 US for a package from Hardeman Apiaries plus shipping.   Then 2 deeps or 3 med boxes for your first year minimum.  Look in the catalogs to see what starter hives are running.   You may want a package deal with smoker, tool, and veil included.   Beemaster has video here of how to install a package.  Read, learn,  and shop.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 07:32:19 pm »
You can get 2, 3 ,or 4 pound packages.   Most go with 3 pounds.   I do not know about up there, but here, we would pay $63.50 US for a package from Hardeman Apiaries plus shipping.   Then 2 deeps or 3 med boxes for your first year minimum.  Look in the catalogs to see what starter hives are running.   You may want a package deal with smoker, tool, and veil included.   Beemaster has video here of how to install a package.  Read, learn,  and shop.

I would buy 3-4pound packages and 1 queen and make 4-3pound packages

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 07:36:09 pm »
You could, but keeping it simple is best to start with.   

Offline Algonam

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 07:59:27 pm »
I just finished building 2 top bar hives. I may build a couple more. That may depend on the cost of everything else I'll be needing as I'm just starting out.
I don't know yet if top bar hives require more, less, or the same number of bees to start.
Thanks for the info!

Oh Canada!

Offline larabee

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 12:19:49 pm »
Maybe it's just me but this was so useful I think it deserves a sticky.  I have been here for a few weeks and searching for package bees yields so many results it is hard to find recommendations/references in all the material.  I loved this list once I found it.  It's been very helpful to have this material in a list. 

Thanks for the work.

Rene

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 12:32:02 pm »
Thanks for posting the list.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline LoriMNnice

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 07:02:08 pm »
Thank you! Great job. I printed it out.
Lori

Offline theeht

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2011, 11:59:48 pm »
Hello, just wanted to thank you for the list, the time you put in to this shows you do do your home work