Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Emergence of the dreaded yellowjacket  (Read 4509 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Emergence of the dreaded yellowjacket
« on: April 10, 2007, 10:38:32 am »
OK, so you all know my death wish for the yellowjacket.  You have read many posts where I have written about this very beautiful, but strong, bee colony enemy.  Beneficial insect for the garden that eats bad bugs -- yes, killer of the bee colony -- definitely.  Hmm....life to this beneficial insect, I don't think so, not on my property.  I will leave the bad bug eaters to other forms of bad bug predators.

I found in a tray in my greenhouse about 5 days ago, a queen yellowjacket and several workers.  Death.  I squished them all.  Yesterday on my bedroom patio on the house wall, I squished three more yellowjackets.  They are coming out in full force, and I going out in full force.  I am setting out the wasp traps around the apiary in early anticipation of my death wish. 

After watching the yellowjackets around the colonies last year, and watching them carry off the guard bees, this activity of the pests is not going be a worry for my bees (or myself).  I am on the yellowjacket death mission.  This goes for the nasty bald-faced hornet too.  If you ever get stung by that one, you will surely know about it.  Have a wonderful day, great health.  Guess I am going to go and buy a case of cheap beer.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: Emergence of the dreaded yellowjacket
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 10:47:52 am »
Hi Cindi,

The roaches called. They are glad you have forgotten about them.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 11:07:22 am »
I suppose you have seen these traps. I think the bottom one is neat.
http://www.pestcontrolcanada.com/INSECTS/wasp_traps.htm
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 11:21:42 am »
Brendhan, awe, too bad, no roaches, I don't even know what a roach looks like.  Well, I have seen a picture, but haven't seen one in person.  Too bad, I think that they are kind of cute.

Jerry, thanks for that site link.  I will probably make every type that I can and then I will do the test of time.  I will report which one I like that works best.  Maybe I could make cool garden decor (LOLL).  The one I have works on similar principles.  It is an excellent device, but I know that I could use more in my personal mission.

Have a wonderful and beautiful day, good health.  The sun is gonna shine, little whisper of frost on my bedroom patio.  Yeah!!!!

The sunflowers that have self-seeded are popping up everywhere now, so I know that I can safely set seed.  I have 3 acres that I am wild sowing with my bee plants and I am hitting this chore today.  My only problem is the birds that I know will be watching me too.  I will sow the seed secretly so they don't see me throwing seed all over the place.  Most of the seed that I sow requires light for germination so I can't cover it up.  I am going to be spending probably all day long, walking around.  Wonder how much weight I will lose?  LOL.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 11:34:25 am »
Brendhan, awe, too bad, no roaches, I don't even know what a roach looks like.  Well, I have seen a picture, but haven't seen one in person.  Too bad, I think that they are kind of cute.

You want me to send you some?

:evil:

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 12:46:37 am »
Brendhan, well actually, I think that if I went to some older places in our city, I might find some myself.  But I am not too sure if they are or are not indigenous to our locale.  Maybe.  I liked the ones that Fear Factor had the contestants eat, especially the ones that hissed.  Now that was a sight!!!  I do wonder if they live in our area.  Wonder how I could find out.  Maybe I could ask a pest control agency, surely they would know.  Best of the beautiful day, good health.  Cindi

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 12:48:36 am »
I am pretty sure you have some kind of a roach in them there parts. Probably the German roaches.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2007, 08:12:00 pm »
HAHAHAHA  you guys are funny...

Offline AllanJ

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2007, 09:49:24 pm »
Death.  I squished them all. 

*sigh*  my image of you.. with bright shinning light emanating from behind you and reaching for the heavens, has all but gone.. :(

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2007, 10:14:57 am »
Alan, well, squished bugs, gotta do something with them, its better than my husband who will eat them on a dare!!!!  Have a wonderful day, the sun is shinin', great health.  Cindi

Offline Casimir

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2007, 06:53:59 am »
  This goes for the nasty bald-faced hornet too.  If you ever get stung by that one, you will surely know about it.

When I was 6 I accidentally disturbed a hornets nest. I remember running inside and having my dad smashing all of them with a fly swatter off of me. Ever since then I jump when I see a hornet.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2007, 10:37:43 am »
I have attacked the yellow jackets with fly swatters.  It does not kill them.  I can knock them down with the fly swatter, but then I have to squish them to be sure they are dead.  They have strong bodies and get right back up after being hit with this device.  Don't know how they can be so tough, but the ones that live around here are.

They have been getting very active around here now and I have the traps set out, they really enjoy the beer over the fruit juices.  I am going to do experiments with the banana peel, and other stuff too.  I will find out what is the very best and let you all know. 

I wonder if insects in different locales prefer different meals.  lol.  Have a wonderful day, the sun is shinin', the package bees are having a hay day.  Good health.  Cindi

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2007, 11:13:06 am »
Yellow Jacket trap are going to be prepped this week.  We had a huge population about 3 years ago...it was just before I hosted a memorial service for over 100 people for my dad...we put up 4 trap and got about a zillion YJ's, since then not as many for sure...think I will refresh the traps this week!

hasta la vista YJ's...

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2007, 10:16:05 am »
Sharon, so what is in your traps, sounds like they are effective.

I have done the test now.  There is not a single doubt in my mind that these little critters prefer beer to other catching stuff.  Best of this beautiful day, it is raining, germinating the millions of seeds I have sowed.  Right, good health to all, Cindi.

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2007, 11:06:25 am »
We buy the attractant at the hardware store.  It is a pheromone.  Worked great I must say.

Gotta get those YJ's!!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2007, 11:14:45 am »
Sharon, now I am to another test.  I am going to get some pheromone and more beer, I will post the results.  It is raining, so now I have a window in time to go out shopping.  Hmm...that is a good rainy day thing. It is usually to the grocery store or the plant nursery  :roll:.  That's my gig.  But I am gonna hit Home Hardware today.  Have a beautiful life, and beautiful day, the sun's not shinin' but the rain germinates the seeds. loll.  Great health.  Cindi

anything