Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: More than I can chew!  (Read 11444 times)

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
More than I can chew!
« on: February 16, 2010, 08:51:01 am »
I was asked to help remove a feral hive from someones back yard. I went around to have a look tonight.

The ferals are mostly living in a possum box. I say mostly because that bulbous shape at the front is comb covered in bees. For those who are not familiar with possums, a possum box is about equivalent to 5 frame nuc. They are about 3 1/2 metres off the ground and the box is attached to the tree, but I can't see how. They have been there for a few months, but the home owner was not too worried. She is planning on hosting a party in her back yard for her mother's 70th. The yard is only small and she is concerned about gate crashers from the neighbours up the tree. I suggested inviting them and offering them a beer or two, but no.

I think this one is much beyond my experience and I will have to find someone else willing. I don't think I could relocate them into a box in a reasonable amount of time. It looks like a 2 man job.

Thoughts?

Phil

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: More than I can chew!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 09:10:40 am »
Simple solution.........

Smoke them well. Use a pry bar to remove the box from the tree. Set the box at the base of the tree until nightfall. Return at night and take the box home.

PS. Get help before throwing your backyard party.  :-D
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 09:19:15 am »
Lovely Phil,

Do what Iddee says and you have a free colony.. nice

Slicko

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 09:43:25 am »
What can I use big enough to contain the box until relocated? I don't want a swarm of angry bees messing up my handsome complexion while I drive.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 09:52:04 am »
What can I use big enough to contain the box until relocated? I don't want a swarm of angry bees messing up my handsome complexion while I drive.

If you drive a truck just set them in the bed. If they have to go inside your vehicle with you, just put the entire thing situated upright in a large box with lid. Smoke them, spray lightly with a little water & close the lid. Make sure they have ventilation.

All will be fine.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Pete

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 08:04:59 pm »
Yeah but how will you get that heavy box close to the ground? rope and pully?

What suburb, i might be interested in a few giggles and giving you a hand...never tried to remove a feral hive and that looks like a few laughs  :-D
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 08:22:34 pm by Pete »

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 08:19:02 pm »
Yeah but how will you get that heavy box close to the ground? rope and pully?

What suburb, i might be interested in a few giggles...never tried to remove a feral hive and that looks like a few laughs  :-D

Ladder and eye screw w/ rope or ladder up to it, pry it away and bring it down with you.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 08:23:17 pm »
i picked up a swarm in a box once and had to carry it home in the car.  i just wrapped the box loosely in a sheet and they were fine until i got home.  probably squished a few bees, but most made it without leaking all over my car :-)

that looks like an easy and worthwhile removal once you figure out how to lower the box.  maybe like the one i had to lower over an apartment balcony?  rope it up and lower it down.  looks like you have some good branches to work with.  the hardest part part would be the height.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 09:24:16 am »
Oh that's a cinch.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 01:54:08 pm »
off subject but what the heck is a oppossum box used for?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 04:43:41 pm »
a possum down under is quite different from our possums. They are wanted, and the boxes are nesting boxes used to attract them.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Pete

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 05:20:45 pm »
Its to get the possum to camp in the box instead of your roof...but what ends up happening is the little blighters breed in those boxes and the young move out of the box, and into your roof :)

I just google Opossum, they look like they bite? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Opossum2.jpg

Ours dont bite. http://australianmuseum.net.au/image/Common-Ringtail-Possum/

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 05:34:09 pm »
A much better link to the American Opossum.

http://www.opossum.org/facts.htm

Of the hundreds of them I have caught, none have ever bitten me. Of course, I tried to keep from giving them the opportunity.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2010, 02:52:58 am »
I've talked the property owner into leaving them where they are now.

There's a screen of bushes between the hive and the grassed area. The earliest the bees could be moved would be Friday night, which means that the straglers would be hanging around on Sat night all lonely and lost with no home to go to and probably itching for a fight.

I pointed out to her that if she had called last week, it could have been sorted out in time.

It was a nice sized colony, so I've suggested if she still wants to move them on sometime after the party, I'ld willingly give it a go then. It could be interesting.

Worst thing about possums is what they do to your fruit trees. (they can clean out a tree in a few nights) Luckily they don't hang out in my area as the locals care for their fruit trees too much.

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2010, 07:19:28 am »
Pete, I'm sorry to be so contrary, but the brushtail possum is much more common than the ringtail and the one that usually eats your roses and scratches all night in your ceiling and spends almond season throwing an almond down on your caravan every 15 seconds overnight until he's gone through the whole tree.  I don't know they wouldn't bite, either..I just don't like to give them the chance to bite or scratch.  I also beg to differ with Iddee
They are wanted
  The only person I ever met who wanted one was a wildlife carer who asked us to bring her some prunus to feed her charges so she wouldn't have to go around under cover of dark knocking off all the neighbours' roses again.  To be honest, we are all proud of our cute possums, and do love them dearly, and sometimes sneak them some snacks, but we just like them to be someone else's problem  ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Brushtail_Possum

http://yfrog.com/5npossum8506j

Lone

Offline westmar

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2010, 10:52:54 pm »
hi
    if you do end up having a go at getting them down be carefull of the weight of it .can suprise you when you are up a ladder

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2010, 10:57:16 pm »
ours are disease ridden pests.  some people eat them.

i'd have that box roped and secured to a limb before prying it loose.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2010, 11:47:06 pm »
Kathy, that is news to me. What diseases do our possums carry?

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2010, 12:07:11 am »
they can carry S. neurona a shed the sporocysts in their feces.  if horses eat food or water contaminated with it they can get a neurological infection called EPM.  it's very difficult and expensive to treat and many horses either die or never recover enough to be used.

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2010, 02:36:02 am »
I was worrying about the weight, I know how heavy a full super is. I thought the suggestion of throwing the rope over a branch and lowering it down was a beaut.

A suggestion I heard last night at the local bee club was to wrap a peice of shade cloth around the box before taking it down and stapling the cloth to the box to contain them. That way, I was told, it dosn't matter how cranky they get.