Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: bee space  (Read 3295 times)

Offline Patrick

• House Bee
bee space
« on: June 29, 2006, 03:55:36 pm »
Hello,
So a friend of mine gave me his old table saw and I have been building a few things for my hive. One thing I built was a screenedBB of my own design.  Being a prototype I forgot to account for the thickness of the screen which can't be more that 1/32 of an inch (on a warm day).  The question I have, is the 1/32 screen subtracted from the 3/8 space going to cause a problem.  What is the margin of error for the bee space.  

cheers,
Patrick

Offline Dale

• New Bee
    • Northeastern PA Beekeeping
bee space
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 09:16:15 pm »
No.  I build everything as well.  Being on the small side is not always bad. Now the opposite, can cause other problems.  3/8 is actually a bit large.  I usually use 1/4 inch. but I'm also on small cell.
Dale Richards
Dal-Col Apiaries
Drums, PA
www.hazleton.net/users/dalcol

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
bee space
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 10:54:48 pm »
I haven't worried about the bee space below the frames of the bottom box. Some of my hives have a good inch or more between the bottom of the frame and the screen. So far the bees have left that area alone.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
bee space
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 01:46:43 pm »
>So a friend of mine gave me his old table saw and I have been building a few things for my hive. One thing I built was a screenedBB of my own design. Being a prototype I forgot to account for the thickness of the screen which can't be more that 1/32 of an inch (on a warm day). The question I have, is the 1/32 screen subtracted from the 3/8 space going to cause a problem. What is the margin of error for the bee space.

Side to side and from a bar to the top it is between 1/4" and 3/8".

The beespace on the bottom should be between 1/4" and 7/8".  You have a lot of play on the bottom.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Patrick

• House Bee
bee space
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 01:52:37 pm »
Thank you, very helpfull info.
Cheers,
Patrick

anything