Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Water Stations?  (Read 1146 times)

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
Water Stations?
« on: May 24, 2008, 08:21:02 am »
Hey all,
Well here in Michigan my part at least, it's really dry like even when it rains, in short order, because its all sand the ground sucks up the water. The closest water is a small lake/huge pond 3/4 of a mile away. Thats pretty much it. Anyway I decided to give my bees water right from the start. I used a small bird bath with stones, and I took a small tupperware container also and put a few bricks and stones in it. the bees thrive to them. However I always seem to find drowned bees. And they always need filling due to there small size. So I have a two part question.

First how much water do bees need provided for them.

Second Part

I read about a way of making a drinker for the bees that was drown proof, and supposedly they like alot. Sorta like this, I am just using whats around the house.
I have an old satelite dish, about 6 feet in diameter. I was going to make it a pond, bury it and put some flag stone around it and of course plants. need plants right? and fill the bottom with gravel, adding peat to the top to level it off.
Soak the peat and fill with water till its like a giant sponge with a gravel base for a resevoir. This leaves a small skiff of water for the bees to drink and they can't drown. Plus its six feet around. Should last a day or three at least. Any thoughts on this. Or am I just working for nothing.
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Water Stations?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 08:44:22 am »
Can't hurt.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com