Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How comfortable would you be with a hive 15 feet from your front door?  (Read 6023 times)

Offline Kellyb

• New Bee
I'm eager to get started in beekeeping and in trying to find a good spot I've determined that right alongside my house in the front yard seems like the best spot. The hives would be facing southeast so they'd get plenty of sun and they'd be protected from the north wind in the winter. My only concern is having bees so close to the front door.  Nobody would be walking directly by them on any regular basis  but they'd still be close to the door. Do you'll think this is something I need to be concerned about?  I also have an elevated deck on the other side of the house that is an option but the bees would be in total shade pretty much 24/7 so I'm leaning towards this frontside spot.

Offline jdpro5010

• House Bee
Wouldn't bother me at all! MY guests on the other hand probably would not be real thrilled with it.

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
I think it depends on the bees. I have a few hives that i do all i can to upset them and I get nothing from them. But I do have another hive that 10 to 15 feet might be a little close, the only reason I keep them is the queen is a great egg layer and the bees make a ton of honey. Plus they are out in the middle of nowhere. Again it all depends on the demeanor of the bees and will vary from hive to hive plus all the other variables drought dearth. That is a tough question to answer, but last year I did have a small hive on my mom's back porch with in 5 feet of the door and I kept them there for about 6 months until I moved them, with out incident

Keith

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Kellyb

• New Bee
Yes it does help.  Thanks!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Wouldn't bother me at all! MY guests on the other hand probably would not be real thrilled with it.

Generally speaking 15' from your front door should be fine to place a hive or two. As you are entering the front door I would suggest the bee hives to the right of the front door facing away.

You more than likely could put them even closer as long as the entrance is facing away.

You cannot 100% count on any bees always being nice 100% of the time, so taking proper precautions to keep those people who are allergic to bee stings out of harm's way should be priority.

If you keep lights on at night bees will go to them, remember this. Could be a few, could be a small handful. They will fly around against the light all night long until they expire.

If your guests are leery, have them come over after dark when the bees are all tucked in.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee

I echo this.   :-D
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
you'll also get hitchhikers into the house.  that might not bother you.  the more of them you walk through, the more likely you are to take one or two along for a ride  :-).  i get them in my hair all the time.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline tlynn

• Field Bee
I don't know your setup, but I'd be more concerned by neighbors seeing your hives if they are in the front yard.  I wouldn't want to advertise to the neighborhood I have bees, not because the bees might become a problem, but because the neighbors might become a problem!  Next thing you know the neighbor down  the street gets stung by a yellow jacket while working in the garden and guess who is to blame?

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
Got two Nucs on the back porch and an eight frame observation hive beside my wife's computer less than three feet from our bed.  Its Her's so she put it on her side of the bed and told me to build another just like it for my side. Women??? :bee: :bee: :bee:

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
I have had hives that close to my door with no problems.  I've also had hives that I was very glad weren't that close to my door.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
Kinda takes care of those door-to-door sales people, doesn't it!
"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
Ask Tillie.  She keeps her hives on her deck.
Brian

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Now I must confess that this time of year anyone trying to get into my front door usually has to walk between 4-6 hives. Right now there are 6.

I babysit and feed the swarms for a few weeks then bring them to the beeyard.

Right there on my carport, about 7' from my front door. Definitely keeps away the door to door types ;).

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Now I must confess that this time of year anyone trying to get into my front door usually has to walk between 4-6 hives. Right now there are 6.

I babysit and feed the swarms for a few weeks then bring them to the beeyard.

Right there on my carport, about 7' from my front door. Definitely keeps away the door to door types ;).

...JP

Bet you don't get burglarized either. I can just see the crook thinking, "If he's got bees by his front door, what's he got in the house? 

Post a picture of a dragon on your door with a sign that says, "Beware of Dragon."    :lau: :lau: :jerry:

:imsorry:  I'll go back to  :stayontopic:
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Kellyb

• New Bee
Someone mentioned the neighbors seeing the bees. That's actually the reason why I want to put them up front.  I think it will be easier for me to keep them out of site and out of mind that way. I have a huge backyard that extends about 75 yards down a hill into a dry creek but the thing is it's not fenced in and any hives I set down there would would be in broad view for the entire neighborhood to see.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
I would keep them on my front deck a few feet from my door if my husband would allow me to. But it would be hard to get any help from any workers if I needed them.

Offline Big John

• House Bee
I have kept a hive on the front porch about 2' from the front door with no problem. It sure cut down on my company.  :-D
"Semper Fi"

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
I don't know how long yours are cooped up, but if they are inside for a while in the winter...well they have to hold it while in there...and on a nice day in the spring when the sun is shining they ALL come out and poop on EVERYTHING. 

Normally it is not a problem.  But if you stand next to a hive on a nice day after a long cold spell, well, you are going to be speckled by the same "stuff" that will be speckling everything around the hive.

Other than that...15' from the door with the bees entrance pointing away...that is just fine as long as they aren't facing a solid fence.

Rick
Rick

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
I had six hives pointing at the house , approx 17 feet away. there are still many bees, but they circle climb and leave the area. the house makes a break and they fly over it. So far so good.This year I expect to have 12 out there. hope it stays that way.
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.