Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Transporting queen cells?  (Read 5152 times)

Offline larry tate

• New Bee
Transporting queen cells?
« on: October 27, 2009, 09:05:42 am »
What are the best ways to transport queen cells about 15 miles to a mating yard? Your input is appreciated.

Offline fish_stix

• House Bee
Re: Transporting queen cells?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 02:21:42 pm »
For me, the best way has always been to place them in the JZ BZ Top Bar cell protectors and carry them in JZ BZ Queen shipping cartons (Dadant catalog pg 58). I've also carried them in a homemade box with a horizontal cardboard divider with appropriate size holes for the cell protectors (suspend the cell protectors). Whatever you do, don't leave them in a hot vehicle or in the sun; they tend never to emerge and they taste bad when cooked in this manner!

Offline beee farmer

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 06:25:55 pm »
I have a small cooler that I use, I fill a couple of water bottles with warm tap water, lay them on the botttom and cover with a soft terry cloth towel folded over them and then lay a shipping bar with queen cells on top of towel.  You can adjust the temp of water in bottles for diffrent weathers.  Works for me on short trips.
"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do"  Benjamin Franklin

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 09:27:34 pm »
I always put them in a two frame mating nuc (mine are my standard sized frames) with a frame of brood so the nurse bees will keep them warm.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 11:03:38 pm »
a friend of mine bought one of those styrofoam chicken egg incubators and removed the egg tray's and installed cell bars in it, he rig it up so he could plug it in to the cigarette lighter in his truck and can travel cells far and in the early cool month's.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 07:47:14 am by TwT »
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 07:44:35 am »
Google "carricell" for ideas.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline larry tate

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 07:07:18 pm »
Has any got a pic or diagram of a shipping bar? Thanks

anything