Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Combining new swarm with another hive  (Read 1707 times)

Offline homer

• House Bee
Combining new swarm with another hive
« on: July 07, 2009, 09:39:02 pm »
I caught a swarm on July 4th.  It's kind of late for a swarm so I was debating on just combining it with another small hive that I've got.  If I do a newspaper combine do I need to make one hive queenless for a few hours before I combine, or can I just remove her then do the newspaper thing?

Offline riverrat

• House Bee
Re: Combining new swarm with another hive
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 10:19:14 pm »
pinch the head on the queen you dont want to keep and do the newspaper combine no waiting
never take the top off a hive on a day that you wouldn't want the roof taken off your house

Offline homer

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 11:44:05 pm »
pinch the head on the queen you dont want to keep and do the newspaper combine no waiting

I think I'll go ahead and put her in a nuc and keep her.  No reason to kill a viable queen.  I've just got 2 small hives that will do much better come winter if I combine them now.

Offline beee farmer

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 11:49:24 pm »
I agree. Nuc the swarm and feed all three hives early ,they well be fine through winter... huge populations are not the best for overwintering anyway.. they eat all their stores up quicker
"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do"  Benjamin Franklin

anything