Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Question of water source  (Read 1615 times)

Offline DaveKow

• House Bee
Question of water source
« on: March 25, 2008, 01:18:12 pm »
Both of my next door neighbors have pools.  The neighbor 2 yards away has a pond.  I would esimate that the pond is no more than 75-100 ft. further away than the 2 pools.  In your opinions will they go for fresh water a bit further away or for the clorinated water in the pools a bit closer?

Thanks in advance,
Dave

Offline DennisB

• House Bee
Re: Question of water source
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 01:27:16 pm »
Hi Dave.

From what I have read amongst the posts here, they tend to like the clorinated(sp) water. If it is closer than the pond IMO they would go for it before the pond. You could help to eliminate this possibility by placing a water source in your yard such as a bird bath or poultry water supply.
Or you could just go to the neighbors and tell them to let you swim on the hot days and splash around a bit, that way the bees stay away and you stay cool!

DennisB

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 01:50:45 pm »
I agree with Dennis, we have a pool and last summer the bees did buzz around and drink from it more it seemed than from the neighbors pond.  I put a float in it though to help prevent drowning. 

David 

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 02:43:53 pm »
> In your opinions will they go for fresh water a bit further away or for the clorinated water in the pools a bit closer?

In my experience they will go for the chlorinated and probably warmer water even if it's further.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 03:42:58 pm »
They tend to like really nasty water.  I made a lovely water source for them right behind the hives and while the bees drink from it, they prefer to get water from my gutter with standing leaves in it - or the water of preference right now is a nasty flower pot without good drainage in which water stands and is yucky with weeds and grossness. .....  so make a nasty water source between your hives and the neighbors and they'll probably choose the nasty water over chlorine any day!

Linda T in Atlanta

anything