Yes
16 (61.5%)
No
2 (7.7%)
Leave it for the bees
8 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 04, 2007, 04:20:57 pm

Author Topic: Question on Goldenrod Honey  (Read 19654 times)

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
Re: Question on Goldenrod Honey
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2007, 10:41:01 am »
Bumping up.  I am hoping for more votes.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2007, 06:28:55 pm »
Another bump up for votes.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Old Timer

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2007, 06:39:25 pm »
i like all honey :) especially the one i sit with on the porch swing

Offline Zoot

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2007, 11:45:05 pm »
I know my bees forage on the abundant goldenrod around here judging by the smell but I swear I've hardly ever seen one do it. The blossoms are always covered with bumble bees, wasps, and misc small garden bees but rarely honeybees. They are much more visable on the wild asters and other assorted wild flowers.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2007, 11:12:12 am »
Old Timer, what a sweet comment, and I picture you with your honey on the porch  :) :) :)  Have a wonderful day, greatest of life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2007, 10:57:26 am »
Thanks for all the comments and votes.  I am really surprised by the results.  I extracted 2 mediums of goldenrod on Tuesday and I must say, even though the stink is over powering, it tastes a little bit better and is a little bit lighter in color than last year's goldenrod.  I wonder if there is some sort of wild flower mixed in with it.  Well, it'll make someone happy anyway.

Thanks again.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2007, 08:36:14 am »
We have a lot of asters growing around here along with the goldenrod. It has made a dark but very tasty honey. Not qite as full flavored as goldenrod alone but delicious.I would rank the taste as flavorful as the locust honey.

Offline mark

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2007, 07:29:42 pm »
the last batch of honey i pulled off had a nutty pungent flavor.  very strong and dark.  don't know if it was goldenrod or a blend of that and clethra, loostrife and who knows what else.  i did not like it.

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2007, 09:30:19 pm »
I was feeding for a bit earlier, but my girls have a lot more honey packed away than I could have fed them in syrup. I'm guessing the balance is goldenrod, but I have no complaints; I stole a frame from a hive with >90 lbs honey, and it tastes just fine.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2007, 07:25:06 pm »
the last batch of honey i pulled off had a nutty pungent flavor.  very strong and dark.  don't know if it was goldenrod or a blend of that and clethra, loostrife and who knows what else.  i did not like it.
Does Japanese bamboo (Polygonum cuspidatum) grow anywhere near you?  It's an invasive weed around here, but as a member of the buckwheat family, it's a great bee plant - they love it, but I don't like the honey.  It's very dark and strong, almost mollassesy.  Blooms in late August.

Offline Romahawk

• House Bee
    • http://www.romahawk.com
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2007, 08:59:18 pm »
Hmmm, wonder if it's the soil or the climate that makes the difference. Japanese Knotweed makes a lighter colored honey with a walnut flavored taste in this area. I  know a local commercial beek that sells all he can get to the Vietnamese community's from here to Boston. He says he wishes that he had all his yards in areas that are saturated with it, he claims he sells every last drop he gets. I haven't tasted it myself but that's his story and he's sticking to it....  :-D
Never let your education interfere with your learning" --Samuel Clemens

Offline Zoot

• House Bee
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2007, 11:23:57 pm »
Romahawk

Is that also known as mexican bamboo? How those 2 names could be associated with the same plant eludes me completely but I think they are the same. It's become one of the more common invasive plants around here, especially in the woods along some of the smaller creeks, etc. but I've never noticed bees foraging it. I'll pay closer attention now.

Offline Romahawk

• House Bee
    • http://www.romahawk.com
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2007, 11:38:54 pm »
Not sure if it's the same plant or not but I suspect it probably is. It grows along streams, lake banks, and roadsides and it chokes out any plant in it's path. Very difficult to get rid of once it is established. Here the blooms were gone a couple of weeks ago. The plants were loaded as they are every year with little white blossoms and the bees are all over it from start to finish of the blooming season .
Never let your education interfere with your learning" --Samuel Clemens

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2007, 12:35:46 am »
Ann, you call this plant Japanese Bamboo, Romanhawk calls it Japanese Knotweed.  I think they are the same plant?

I was looking around our vicinity, noticing the fall plants that the bees were highly attracted to.  I saw this enormous foliage plant growing everywhere around our countryside.  It looked like bamboo kind of, but I have never known the name of it.  Now I think it is the Japanese Bamboo, Knotweed.  I noticed the stalks of the plant resembled bamboo very closely.  These groves of shrubs were covered in bees, obviously they were deriving great goodness from it.  It was around the 9th of September or so, so this plant is obviously a great plant for the bees in fall.  I would not call it invasive, it seemed to grow in groves, everywhere, in sparsely wooded areas.  It was a thing of beauty, I did take pictures, in the hope that one day I could have a plant ident.  I think my wish has come true.  Have a wonderful day, beauty of a life that we live.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2007, 08:43:29 am »
Most definitely, Cindi, that's what it is.  Bamboo, knotweed, that's the problem with common names, which is why I will usually use the latin name (Polygonum cuspidatum), but then people think I'm trying to be high fallutin  :-P 

The Victorians brought that over as an ornamental.  Problem is it's horribly invasive, as some here have noted.  If you really want to get rid of it, you have to use the bad stuff, Round-up, applied as it flowers.  It'll take a few years of application to get rid of it.  You can't dig it, one little piece of root will resprout.

Here's an article that's closer to you're part of the world.  There's another, known as Giant Knotweed, (Polygonum sachalinense), that looks very similar but is huge!  Funny thing is, my mother has that one in her garden, and for us here in New England it's very well behaved - go figure!  :-P

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2007, 02:28:07 pm »
Most definitely, Cindi, that's what it is.  Bamboo, knotweed, that's the problem with common names, which is why I will usually use the latin name (Polygonum cuspidatum), but then people think I'm trying to be high fallutin  :-P 

The Victorians brought that over as an ornamental.  Problem is it's horribly invasive, as some here have noted.  If you really want to get rid of it, you have to use the bad stuff, Round-up, applied as it flowers.  It'll take a few years of application to get rid of it.  You can't dig it, one little piece of root will resprout.

Here's an article that's closer to you're part of the world.  There's another, known as Giant Knotweed, (Polygonum sachalinense), that looks very similar but is huge!  Funny thing is, my mother has that one in her garden, and for us here in New England it's very well behaved - go figure!  :-P

Ann, good.  Invasive species.  Probably, sounds like it in a big way.  The groves of the knotweed that I see around my community appear to be well-behaved too, not to say that they won't spread, but we have such places where they can grow and grow.

I googled Polygonum sachalinense, sounds really nice, interesting reading, I copied something from the site:

"Beneficial: The rhizomes are mentioned as an herbal source for laxatives and diuretics (Inoue et al. 1992). The young shoots are edible, if not eaten excessively, and taste somewhat like rhubarb (Pojar and MacKinnon 1994). Introduced as a garden ornamental, it is considered overly aggressive. (Seiger 1995; Hitchcock and Cronquist 1973; Hitchcock et al 1964; Pridham and Bing 1975)."

I do not have any issues with propogating the knotweed on my property.  Another lady that I know in Langely said that she has had a small gove growing for about 20 years beside her garage and it has not spread, she is aware of the invasiveness of this species.  I am heading off to the top of our road soon to dig up a little bit of the root, then I can have this fall plant for my bees.  I see it can grow to 10 feet or so from a few single little root cuttings, hmmm.....I will keep an eye on it.

I have Comfrey growing here like a mad man.  When we first moved in over 17 years ago, comfrey was so deeply overgrown here, one could barely walk.  I irradicated most of it, leaving only a big clump, which I contain quite nicely.  Except, where I dig out the roots to keep it controlled, is now a comfrey patch gone wild, it is in my "unwanted" compost pile, where I throw all the weeds.  Hmmmm.....it is good, it can grow to its heart content there, it is excellent for the bumblebees, the honeybees pay no mind, so I let it grow...and grow....and grow.

I would love the have the Giant Knotweed that your Mother has growing at her place, I looked at some sites and they are beautiful.  She is a lucky woman (or is she????, maybe she doesn't want this species  :) ;) :(

A plant that I tried to get hold of this spring, ordering through my local nursery, but never did obtain is the Giant Fleeceflower, "Persicaria polymorpha', google that one, it is beautiful too, sounds like it is a good bee plant as well.  Well, gotta run, the sun is shinin', I have one more colony to ready for winter, it still has the 3rd super on and I know it has to be off and the boxes set up  :) ;).  I want to take some pictures of stuff too, so today is gonna be a busy day in the sun, fun, fun, fun!!!  Best of this great life we're livin'.  Cindi

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2007, 05:34:41 pm »
Persicaria polymorpha - that's the one my mother has!  And it is a wonderful bee plant.  I'll have to take a picture of it next year, it is downhill from the hives and the girls were all over it a month or so ago!  The herbal uses of Polygonum sachalinense need further study, thanx for the head's up!  :)

Offline mark

• House Bee
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2007, 10:46:45 pm »
knotweed huh.   yea we have lots of it here and that would explain the honey. thanks.          usda lists it as invasive and advises against planting it so also does nature conservancy.  visit www.invasive.org and plants.usda.gov for more info

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2007, 01:11:40 am »
Mark, yes, these facts are understandable.  Noxious weeds I believe many of them are called. Too bad, but they can become so invasive that they are problematic.

So, Ann, Persicaria Polymorpha (Giant Fleeceflower) is the one your Mother has, yeah, that is good.  I know that I am going to try again this year to obtain seeds, roots, rhizomes, whatever to propogate this on my property.  It is a gorgeous flowering plant.

I have some exotic seed catalogues, I will examine them when they begin to come in.  Have a wonderful and greatest of this night and day, beautiful life.  Cindi

anything