Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Barn Swallows Swallowing Our Bees!  (Read 28335 times)

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Barn Swallows Swallowing Our Bees!
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2010, 11:05:02 am »
the study is BS.  they eat more than drones and queens and will reduce your hive numbers if there are enough of them and they get a taste for your bees.  i have no doubt that not all swallows are a problem everywhere.  maybe in some areas they have an abundance of food that they prefer to honeybees.  this is the first year that my bees have not been damaged by the swallows.  there were fewer birds, and the very heavy spring rain, and the cold, kept the bees in through most of may and early June. 

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Livefreeordie

• House Bee
« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2010, 12:20:38 pm »
the study is BS. 

I agree, most studies like that are produced and paid for by groups with the express agenda of trying to control someone elses behavior. I treat everything the same, if on MY property, and causing damage, it is eliminated, from bugs to bears, I have always handled pest this way, and will continue to do so. Your investment in your bee's far outweighs a couple of birds. Especially swallows, which are everywhere.
Before any self righteous bird lover chimes in, I have bird boxes up all over the yard, we have bluebirds and Wrens and they do a great job of keeping bugs out of the garden. If they become a problem for my bee's, they will be evicted.
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Offline 1of6

• House Bee
  • Always learning...
« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2010, 12:23:29 pm »
It's easier to stomach losing a few bees along the way as long as it doesn't go too far into the thousands...when you lose the queen on a mating flight, that changes everything.

Everyone grumbles when they have a yard that has problems getting queens mated and back in the hives.

I didn't see any links posted showing the study...I'm surprised no one has posted it yet.  Any takers?

Offline cam

• House Bee
    • circle 7 honey
circle7 honey and pollination

Offline Pillpeddler

• New Bee
« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2010, 12:29:01 am »
I'm sure it varies from state agency to state agency, but call your state Fish and Game Dept and see what regs you have for nuisance or depredating animals.  Some states are sensible and allow for problem animals to be "removed", other states are not so lenient.  Every animal I have had the pleasure of observing will take the easiest route to a full belly it can find and once they become acclimated to an easy feast become very tough to remove.  Barn swallows are beautiful and graceful creatures...  and very swift,  an appropriate lead and followthrough will be needed.   ;)  ...  so I have heard.

Pill

Offline Livefreeordie

• House Bee
« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2010, 08:56:59 am »
And before those fish and game laws is that Private Property rights thing.......I figure anyone or anythings rights end at my property line.... ;)
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2010, 07:31:46 pm »
I started my bees three years ago, the swallows moved in the following spring.  I do love contributing to that 'circle of life' thing!  Luckily, our swallows haven't been too much of a problem...yet.

Offline gundalf

• House Bee
« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2010, 08:02:41 pm »
Winchester 1300, modified choke, and trap loads.  If you hit them right, there's nothing left to clean up.

YESSSS!!!
Good fences make good neighbors...   If that don't work, "Remember the Alamo"...     
http://picasaweb.google.com/1bigyeti/BeesOTheShire#

Offline Livefreeordie

• House Bee
« Reply #68 on: August 05, 2010, 09:46:48 pm »
Winchester 1300, modified choke, and trap loads.  If you hit them right, there's nothing left to clean up.

YESSSS!!!

I had missed Lenapes words of wisdom...I will add a double YESSSS!!! :-D

anything