Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: cleaning extractor  (Read 8197 times)

Offline Kimbrell

• House Bee
cleaning extractor
« on: December 11, 2007, 02:08:31 pm »
I have just purchased a new manual extractor.  It obviously needs to be cleaned before it is used.  Does anyone have any tips on the best way to clean one thoroughly without leaving any residue that could contaminate the honey?

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: cleaning extractor
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 03:12:43 pm »
I use boiling water poured over all of it.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 05:07:40 pm »
a little bleach never hurt and its food safe too. Evaporates and will not harm anyone or the honey.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 08:28:02 pm »
I have just purchased a new manual extractor. 

being new just wash with soap and water, rinse well and you will be fine, wash every time the day before planning to use so it can dry well, its like washing pots and pan to me, clean if not used in a while and clean after use!!!! I do use hot water though , nothing to do with rocket science  ;) :-D...... only thing to remember is to use food grade grease when you take apart and re-grease the barrings.......
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Kimbrell

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 01:11:51 am »
I have just purchased a new manual extractor. 

being new just wash with soap and water, rinse well and you will be fine, wash every time the day before planning to use so it can dry well, its like washing pots and pan to me, clean if not used in a while and clean after use!!!! I do use hot water though , nothing to do with rocket science  ;) :-D...... only thing to remember is to use food grade grease when you take apart and re-grease the barrings.......
Thanks for all the tips.  I washed it out with hot soapy water, then used my household steam cleaner.  Also thanks for the advice on the food grade grease...that one hadn't occurred to me.

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 12:30:49 pm »
Kimbrell,  I have a tangital (-1sp) and in order to clean the basket I cut the devil out of my hands and forearms.  I bought a toilet bowl brush specifically to clean the cage and it works great.  As long as I don't take it in the bathroom I should be okay!!! :evil:
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline Kimbrell

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 10:22:52 pm »
Kimbrell,  I have a tangital (-1sp) and in order to clean the basket I cut the devil out of my hands and forearms.  I bought a toilet bowl brush specifically to clean the cage and it works great.  As long as I don't take it in the bathroom I should be okay!!! :evil:
Thanks! What a good idea to be able to clean all the little holes in the basket...

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 11:44:05 pm »
My friend took my extractor apart and we cleaned it with soap and water and rinsed really well with hot water. Air dried in the sun, then packed it away in a plastic garbage bag. Just make sure it is thoroughly dry before doing any extracting ever.Water is bad for honey.

Annette

Offline Paul Andersen

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 12:25:34 am »
To get rid of the honey residue, I put the extractor outside about 50 feet from the hives. Once the bees find it which doesn't take long the bees clean it out real quick.

After that its a mater of some hot water to get it ready for storage, then good cleaning just before I use it the next year.

Paul
Paul

Offline Kimbrell

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 01:15:27 am »
One of my beekeeping friends tells me he takes his extractor to a diy car wash that uses hot water.  He says it cleans the extractor very well and takes much less effort.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 01:30:36 am »
That car wash is an interesting idea. We have one here, a do it yourself type, that would probably work. There is a wand dispensing sudsy water and then a rinse wand. High powered water. I will keep this in mind.

Annette

Offline BMBeeFarm

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007, 06:19:27 pm »
A friend of mine owned a car wash for a while. I got to see the inside stuff. I dont know if all car washes are the same but his recycled the water. It went through a machine but still used the same water over and over again. I dont want to butt in on this but I thought you should know. Might be worth asking before you use.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2007, 06:55:28 pm »
You are so right about this.

Thanks for the info
Annette

Offline Kimbrell

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2007, 11:34:37 pm »
A friend of mine owned a car wash for a while. I got to see the inside stuff. I dont know if all car washes are the same but his recycled the water. It went through a machine but still used the same water over and over again. I dont want to butt in on this but I thought you should know. Might be worth asking before you use.
YUCK!  Before I try that myself I'll have to investigate some more.  Don't want to add road dirt to an already dirty extractor!  Thanks for saying something.  You probably saved me from making a big mistake!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2007, 10:59:34 am »
The summer before last I had borrowed an extractor.  The way I cleaned it was I hoisted it into my bathtub.  I sprayed hot water into the extractor and turned and turned the crank.  It got about 90% clean after doing this for a short time.  Then the water, of course which was laden with honey, I used for making sugar syrup in the following spring.  I opened the gate and let the honey water flow into containers and I froze it.  It made beautiful honey water that made the sugar syrup water very enticing to the bees.  I will probably always do this.  There is so much honey residue in the extractor, I would hate to disgard this precious stuff.

Another way to get all the honey, should the water cool too much, would be to let out the honey water and heat it up slightly again, then pour it back into the extractor. 

This is something that takes a fair amount of time.  I have that time on my hands, therefore I can and do.  Have a beautiful and wonderful day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2007, 04:56:45 pm »
I guess hot water works for some, but I'm always afraid that it will melt the wax which will cool down and coat the extractor and not come off with water.  It will come off mostly fine with cold water, though.

I actually leave it for the bees to clean out first.

Then I do something similar but with cold water, just fill it, spin it, and let it sit for a little bit, most of the honey and wax gets out by then.

I'd be a little leery of using honey out of a borrowed extractor to feed back to your bees.  The chances of AFB contamination is really low, but for what you get out of it, probably not worth it.  Bees will usually take sugar water without honey.  But I use my own extractor, so it isn't an issue.

Rick
Rick

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2007, 09:36:38 am »
Rick, I am with you on this.  Never in a million years would I use an extractor from someone that had remenants of their honey in it.  I won't borrow another person's extractor again either or lend mine out.  Period.  I may be called stingy, whatever, but when I get an extractor, I won't be lending it out.  Period.  Done.  I am the most generous person you would ever meet, but when it comes to the possibility of any transferrance of disease to my colonies from someone else's, nope, not going there.  I will make this clear as clear can be to anyone that I know of that may want to borrow my extractor.

I think the only way to ensure that there are no AFB spores in a communal extractor would firstly be to ascertain if the person lending the extractor to had zero disease issues (that is a given), or burn the inside of the extractor, and I doubt that is a good thing either.

So, I guess this brings a question to the forefront.  How do people "steralize" their extractors, if they lend them out for communal uses?  This is a grave curiosity to me and needs and answer.  Have a beautiful and greatest of this day, yes, great health wishes, too.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2007, 01:05:16 pm »
I would like to know this also, because Sacramento Bee Supply lends out their extractors and I was considering borrowing it if and when I ever end up with many supers to extract.
(mine is only a 2 frame hand crank)
Lets hear your thoughts

Thanks
Annette
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 02:12:40 am by annette »

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2007, 10:12:10 pm »
Stainless steel is also surgical steel that they use in hospitals -it wont absorb any thing -just clean it -never heard any problems like that -I know you cant be to careful -its ok -RDY-B

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2007, 09:01:28 am »
Rdy-b.  Nope, not good enough answer.  There are tiny cracks and crevices even within the confines of an extracting device, where spores can harbour.  Is there any concern about spores present in communal extractors.  Need answers.  Have a beautiful and greatest of days.  Cindi

anything