Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queen Eggs  (Read 3419 times)

Offline pttom

• New Bee
Queen Eggs
« on: June 03, 2007, 08:07:16 pm »
 I am useing the Jenter box to try to raise queens. I have tried 2 hives and the queen lays in each but the eggs don't hatch. I ck back in three days to see, but nothing hatched. Any thought? Tommy

Offline danno1800

• House Bee
    • http://www.huntingtonquarterly.com/Issue30/renaissance.html
Re: Queen Eggs
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 09:54:19 am »
It's very important to wait a day until the bees in the donor hive are actually FEEDING the eggs before moving them to the cell builder. I hope this helps solve your problem. -Danno

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 02:42:08 am »
update needed got any thing happening yet  8-)  RDY-B

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 11:15:59 pm »
> I am useing the Jenter box to try to raise queens. I have tried 2 hives and the queen lays in each but the eggs don't hatch. I ck back in three days to see, but nothing hatched.

Because it takes 3 1/2 to 4 days for eggs to hatch.  If you confined the queen on Saturday, they eggs will hatch on Wednesday.  If you confine them on Sunday, the eggs will hatch on Thursday etc.

If you want virtually all of them hatched, then confine the queen on Saturday morning and check the box on Wednesday afternoon.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline teebo

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 11:46:30 pm »
>confine the queen on Saturday morning and check the box on Wednesday afternoon< do you confine her in the Jenter box?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 08:24:07 am »
>do you confine her in the Jenter box?

Yes.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2007, 01:43:53 pm »
When I first tried the Nicot system (same principle as Jenter) I struggled with it just as you are experiencing. Here is a link to how I succesfully raise them now and a calendar I derived to assist me with the timing.

http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/?page_id=17
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

anything