Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What to feed in the fall??  (Read 12468 times)

Offline johnwm73

• House Bee
What to feed in the fall??
« on: September 14, 2008, 03:49:51 pm »
I keep hearing to feed in the fall syrup. But after looking at some bee suppliers they have said to feed pollen patties. Is that true or should I just feed a 2:1 syrup for the fall and pollen patties early in the spring only?

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: What to feed in the fall??
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 04:40:10 pm »
John, there is so much discussion about whether to feed pollen in the fall.  It totally depends upon if the bees have gathered enough pollen throughout the summer.  It is in the spring that the bees really rely heavily upon pollen.  They use it during the winter too, but pollen is usually associated with mass brood rearing.  The bees require pollen as a nutrient to live.  I don't feed pollen in the winter time, but my bees gather copious amounts throughout the summer here, so I don't need to in winter.  You will hear more, and you will then have to make an informed decision.  It certainly could not hurt one little bit to give a great pollen patty to them, just in case though.  Have a most wonderfully awesome day, love our life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline WhipCityBeeMan

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 05:29:28 pm »
I am feeding syrup with a 5:3 ration this fall.  I am not feeding pollen patties during the fall.  I will probably do so in the spring depending on the weather and available pollen in the hive.
Sola Scripture - Sola Fide - Sola Gracia - Solus Christus - Soli Deo Gloria

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 08:57:44 pm »
If there is poor fall flow and no pollen coming in, it might help to feed pollen.  It might be a detriment to feed pollen substitute since it is a proven fact that bees from pollen substitute do not live as long as bees from pollen and you need long lived bees to get through to spring.  If at all possible make sure they have young bees going into winter.

While 2:1 is the normal recommendation for fall feeding I usually run closer to the 5:3 mentioned above.  it dissolves better and doesn't crystallize as much, but keeps better than 1:1.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 10:41:47 am »
Eeeks, getting back to the pollen patty supplement.  Michael is totally correct about the pollen patty supplement.  Whenever I think of pollen patty supplement, I speak of a patty that is comprised with natural pollen, along with the sugar syrup and also a brewer's yeast (or not).  This year I am going to be feeding pollen patties ONLY made with pollen, sugar and water to make that patty.  When I think of this supplement, I think of pollen, not pollen substitute.  This should be clarified.  We do need long-lived bees in the wintertime, they need to be healthy, long-lived bees as well.  Beautiful, most wonderful day, lovin' this great life.  Cindi 
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 02:00:39 pm »
What about some of these feeds that "boost" brood and etc.  I don't have a magazine to give any names at work, but do any of these work or should we just stick with real pollen?
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich."  SpongeBob Squarepants

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 02:40:55 pm »
I have never used Pollen patties before, never had to, but this year I am, I am looking at a big expansion next year and like most pollinators want my hives large early in the spring, I am going to feed patties this fall, only thing with feeding pollen patties in the fall in SHB area's, dont feed more that 1/4 patty at a time, SHB's love it and will cover it with larva in a few days...

I always feed 2-1 syrup in the fall.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 03:26:14 pm »
I like the idea of using pollen patties as a trap for SHB.
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 04:24:21 pm »
Eeeks, getting back to the pollen patty supplement.  Michael is totally correct about the pollen patty supplement.  Whenever I think of pollen patty supplement, I speak of a patty that is comprised with natural pollen, along with the sugar syrup and also a brewer's yeast (or not).  This year I am going to be feeding pollen patties ONLY made with pollen, sugar and water to make that patty.  When I think of this supplement, I think of pollen, not pollen substitute.  This should be clarified.  We do need long-lived bees in the wintertime, they need to be healthy, long-lived bees as well.  Beautiful, most wonderful day, lovin' this great life.  Cindi 

Would you share the recipe please Cindi on making the patties with just pollen, sugar and water. Where do you get the pollen from???

Thanks
Annette

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 09:49:45 pm »

Where do you get the pollen from???

You can trap it yourself in the spring or buy it from a supply company.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 11:45:13 am »
Annette, this will be the first year that I have made the pollen patties without the binder of brewer's yeast.  I have not made them yet, but I will be getting the perfect amount in the receipe from my mentor, he will tell me the exact amounts to blend.  I am not sure that the pollen patty will bind well enough to make the pollen all stick together in the sugar syrup water.  No clue, maybe it binds anyway you mix it, but I will be looking into this very, very soon and will tell you.  Have the most beautiful and most wonderful day, Cindi

Offline jimmy

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 12:46:52 pm »
I am so glad I read this post.I just called Dadant yesterday to order some Mega Bee pollen patties.After reading the negative post I am glad they were out, so I didn't order.
I too was wanting to get a good strong hive over fall/winter, for next spring.
Think I'll just start feeding sugar/water mixture 2:1.We are having our 1st cool spell, it is in the eighties.
Where's the best place to buy sugar 25 or 50 # bags?

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 04:46:49 pm »
I am so glad I read this post.I just called Dadant yesterday to order some Mega Bee pollen patties.After reading the negative post I am glad they were out, so I didn't order.

a few of my friends said Mega bee was the best they seen ever and they were surprised at how well this stuff worked, hives did extremely well winter and spring, a couple of them have feed straight pollen before and but it cost to much for large number of hives, they are in commercial queen rearing, and one friend is in pollination also, they said Mega bee was the best! I got some on order, going to try it myself!! I have not heard anything negative about Mega bee, where did you see this?

http://megabeediet.com/

THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline gottabee

• House Bee
  • Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler.
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 08:55:37 pm »
ArmucheeBee mentioned using a pollen patty in an SHB trap. Here in the south I learned first hand a hard lesson about leaving excess patties on and attracting SHB. I never thought as using them for SHB bait.
Does anyone know anything about this method?

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2008, 09:38:29 pm »
Here's is what I would do.  Take a box (anykind), cut a small hole in it.  Or use an empty hive body.  Put in a 6x6 inch piece of corrugated cardboard, set a 1/4 patty on it and check it each day.  SMASH those little buggers as you find them.  I caught over 400 yellow jackets with my homemade trap and now have no problems around the hives from them.  My friend a couple of miles away can not keep the jackets out of her hives or off her when she visits them.  Low tech is sometimes the best tech.
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2008, 11:18:31 am »
Annette, here's for you.  I contacted my original bee course instructor and asked about the mixture of sugar syrup with pollen to make the patties bind.

He left me in the dark  :? :? :?  All he told me was that they mix the sugar syrup mixture with the pollen until it binds.  Now I am on an agenda to figure out the mixture that binds, but not just yet.  Still far too busy with end of summer stuff.  I am not even sure if I will feed pollen patties before spring building up anyways. I will begin to feed my bees s.s. soon, mixed with fumigilan as a nosema preventative.  We are urged to do this here because of our dank, wet winters, and the possibility of an endless ugly spring again.  It was not urged to do this before, but with some of the issues with the two nosema species issues, it is now recommended (don't like to use chemicals, but nosema can be pretty bad stuff up in our neck of the woods).  Beautiful most wonderful days, Cindi

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2008, 01:23:23 pm »
Thanks Cindi

I guess just keep adding sugar to the mixture until it binds????  Also do you order your pollen from someplace????

Thanks once again for the info.

Annette

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2008, 01:47:21 pm »
I just saw a yellow jacket coming out of the green girls hive...sneaky little ^%%!! as it ran under the hives before I could squish it...after the fair this afternoon it's all out war here!! :-x.  When it gets dark I take a LONG stick & smush the paper nests on the eves :evil: Don't use a ladder in case they are not cool enough yet to slow em down..can't run squeeling like a girl when on a ladder..not that I would know this personally.. :roll: Can't use fire on the eves either..darn!  BUT I can cut the nests out of trees & such..THEN BURN BABY BURN with my Buckley flamethrower! :evil: :-D
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2008, 03:33:32 pm »
poka-bee

you know yellow jackets live in the ground, right?   paper wasps build the small nests under your eaves.  see my post in "pests" on how to build a YJ trap with apple juice or beer.  I caught over 400!!!   I have no problems now.
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2008, 09:30:32 pm »
Yes I do but generalize out of laziness :roll:.  The only wasps I let be are the narrow waisted or black ones & the little teeny tiny ones, basically any that don't resemble hornets!  Bald faced hornets get blasted too when I see em.  May not be PC but they can go somewhere else & not bother me or my bees! I squished a couple by the hives today :-D.  The other types have never been aggressive to me or the kids....Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard