Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Fumagilin- B  (Read 3078 times)

Offline robinh

• New Bee
Fumagilin- B
« on: July 19, 2014, 06:35:05 pm »
Installed package May 30th.I have been feeding 1to1 SS with HBH, I did not treat the new package with Fumagilim-B at install.Should I wait for fall to treat them or treat them now,this would put the package @ 7 weeks since I put them in an 8 frame med.with foundation.I added the second med. to them 2 weeks ago , also foundation but moved 2 frames of brood up in the 2nd box and replaced with foundation below. :?

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Fumagilin- B
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 08:12:22 pm »
Robin,
Why do you want to treat them? Have your bees bees getting sick and leaving yellow stains all over the front of the hive.
I suspect you have been reading about this and that is why you want to treat them.
Talk to your bee inspector. I think you will find that you do not need to treat for this in your area. You are too far south. We do not treat down here for that due to the mild winters.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 09:20:30 pm »
I do need to treat up here and feed treated syrup in the fall.. They will consume the treated syrup from the cells they stored it in through the winter..  Four months without a cleansing flight is hard on them..   In Georgia I have to assume they will be capable of getting out and about more often...
   Fall treatment is necessary here because they will not take syrup when it is COLD, so it may be mid to late April before I can get them to take treated syrup, depending on the weather that year..    If you are capable of feeding WHEN they begin to show signs you shouldn't have to worry until the problem arises..
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline robinh

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 10:46:39 pm »
This is why I love this site,And yes Jim it was something I read and sometimes I think too much input can be a bad thing.Yes I read about it and thought that it was just another thing I needed to nip in the bud before it became a problem.I just should of did a little more research on it.I didn't know that it was more of a regional problem and this far South we really  didn't have to worry too much about it.I guess today I just bought another shelf item for $25.00 .Thanks again Jim and OldMech    :beemaster:

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 06:01:14 am »
No problem Robin. I was in the same boat as you. I got lucky because during a club meeting, I asked our inspector, and that was the answer that I received, before I had a chance to buy it. I was going to treat my hives, the first year, because my father in law, in PA was asking me if I had treated yet.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 07:52:51 am »
Here's why I would not use fumigillan:

1) it causes birth defects in mammals which is why it is illegal in the rest of the world.
2) it doesn't work on Nosema ceranae, and in fact the latest research shows it increases the incidence of ceranae.
3) it only work son Nosema apis and Nosema apis has virtually disappeared and been replaced by Nosema ceranae.
4) it disrupts the bacteria in their gut that protects them from nosema (which is probably why it makes Nosema ceranae worse)

bushfarms.com/beesnosema.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything