Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Propolis Traps  (Read 4286 times)

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
Propolis Traps
« on: January 25, 2007, 08:21:29 pm »
I was wondering if anyone was using them?

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
Re: Propolis Traps
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 10:43:05 pm »
I have not.  Given bees have been known to make propolis out of just about any sticky, tacky material, I would not trust what they find here in the city.

Offline BEE C

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 05:26:08 am »
I used propolis mats to get propolis this year with good results I thought.  Nice bright red propolis. So fun to convince friends that have never heard about it that you CHEW it. :evil: Makes the teeth a nice vampire red, but so good for killing cavities I bet... :-D :-D

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 02:49:27 pm »
I have one.  Put it on top and when you want to harvest you roll it up and put it in a plastic bag.  When you want to harvest you unroll it while still in the bag and all the propolis pops off.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 05:12:03 pm »
Michael,

You freeze it once rolled up and unrolling while frozen.  Right?
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 06:00:50 pm »
Right.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 06:03:40 pm »
what do you put it on top of?  :?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 12:36:48 am »
The frames.

Offline ndvan

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007, 04:46:11 pm »
What do you do with it after you harvest it?

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 05:06:15 pm »
Propolis can be used for a wide variety of things.  I've heard when mixed with beeswax, it makes a good floor or instrument varnish. 
It can also be used to make ointment and tinctures or, as a key ingredient.  These recipies are in "Beekeeping for Dummies".

Offline BEE C

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2007, 02:51:27 am »
does anyone here know of any links to information on propolis and probiotic diet? P must work like a probiotic eliminating 'bad' bacteria and altering the stomache flora and an fauna.  I was just curious if there have been studies on this?

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2007, 09:41:53 am »
Took a seminar on propolis gathering at the Honeybee Centre last year.  The gist of this was that in our area the most pure propolis is gathered later on in the summer.  The propolis gathered earlier has more wax product in it than in the late summer.  I don't know, I would just gather it whenever I could get a chance.

The propolis mats work great, put on top of the hive bars and moved over a little bit now and then so that the mat becomes fuller as the bees try to work it.

I love propolis scent.  I have two little bottles that I keep on my kitchen counter all year round.  This is aromatherapy to me.  Frequently I open a bottle and take a deep whiff of these.  Every time I do it takes me right there to the beautiful and warm days of summer, the scent of the tree saps coming to the forefront of my senses.  It has an amazing emotional uplifting to my soul and I would never be without it on my kitchen counter.

It is interesting how each bottle smells so differently.  The contents of one bottle has a very strong scent of resin, the smell I recall from when my Father would build his fibreglass sundecks and whatnot.  It is still nice, but not as "foresty" as the other bottle.

I am going to make tinctures soon from some of the propolis.  We were taught how to do that as well during this propolis seminar.  Basically it involves dissolving the propolis in 150% overproof rum.  I don't mind that a little bit (LOL).

When my hands get sticky with propolis, I use a little tiny bit of rubbing alcohol generally and it comes off very nicely.  Jo Jo works well too for removal, the grit is good for these grubby old hands too, makes them a little softer.

I keep a tiny little jar of honey that has propolis particles floating around in it for medicinal purposes in my bathroom.  It looks rather weird and I am sure that people wonder what it is used for.  It looks like some poop floating in the honey jar.  I have had miraculous healing using a little drop of honey from this little tiny jar of propolis honey.  Nothing short of simple incredible healing power. 

I have seen wounds that you would have thought for sure would have left scars, with narry a scar to be seen.  Many many healing events have occurred, with so many kids around here and the things that happen to their poor little bodies in their hard playing that they do (adults too).

The healing power of honey is well documented.  There are super bugs in this world.  Nothing will kill them.  I have read articles that would make you drop your chin in disbelief about how many hospitals (the ones I am thinking of were in Europe) are now using honey to cure what antibiotics won't even touch.  It is amazing, and we are only on the tip of the ice berg. 

Gather propolis, how ever you get it, it is there for the taking, a gift from our bees.  Great day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Paraplegic Racehorse

• House Bee
  • Kilted beekeepers unite!
    • Me Blog
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2007, 08:48:39 pm »
I've heard when mixed with beeswax, it makes a good floor or instrument varnish.

Hmm... Has anyone tried painting their hives with something like this?
I'm Paraplegic Racehorse.
Member in good standing: International Discordance of Kilted Apiarists, Local #994

The World Beehive Project - I endeavor to build at least one of every beehive in common use today and document the entire process.

Offline BEE C

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 05:04:02 am »
I warmed up a bucket of propolis 'balls' and used them to caulk the spaces in between the wall boards of the inside of the hive hut.  I love the smell of propolis, and this particular batch had bee parts etc in it, but I didn't want to get rid of it.  I didn't realize what a mess it would make, (my wife thinks it looks like pygmy goats with diahrea got in there...) HOWEVER, propolis is soo medicinally good, I thought it couldn't hurt to keep away bad bugs, mice, etc.  I also used balls of propolis as gifts.  Friends with woodstoves usually put a kettle on with cinnamon and spices in it at christmas and let it boil away adding water occasionally.  The smell is awesome.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2007, 09:58:19 am »
Hey Steve, that is a good idea about the propolis in water for the nice scent.  I love that smell too.  Gonna give it a whirl on my stove and see how it goes.  Great day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service