Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Small Hive Beetles  (Read 4336 times)

Offline FredBorn

• New Bee
Small Hive Beetles
« on: February 14, 2005, 08:36:28 pm »
Small Hive Beetle;

This seems to be working for me – I only have 4 hives.  

Place a small piece of corrugated cardboard with one side of the outer piece torn off. So that the corrugation shows. Place this under the inter cover on top of the frames. The SHB congregate under the cardboard. When you work the hive and take off the inner cover quickly put the cardboard in a bucket of soapy water and squish as many SHB that are left on the frames.

Fred Citrus County FL

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
Small Hive Beetles
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2005, 09:53:52 pm »
Great post!
I will have to try this if I see shb
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Offline photokid

• New Bee
Small Hive Beetles
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 11:20:36 am »
Any idea how well placing a tray of oil at the bottom with a cover that allows only the beetle to pass? The theory behind it is that the beetle runs away as you work the hive. Since they like to hide in dark places, the black bottom is attractive and so they are caught. I'm trying it for now. I've checked it once and removed about 20-30 beetles, I didn't count, but next time I will.

What do you think?

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
Small Hive Beetles
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2005, 05:35:47 pm »
I have only seen one bettle in one of my hives, bye :D
Ryan Horn

Offline Jay

• House Bee
Small Hive Beetles
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2005, 07:34:29 pm »
This technique does not allow you to use a screened bottom board however. Are the hive beetles a big problem where you are? By the way, where are you? :?
By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson

Offline photokid

• New Bee
Small Hive Beetles
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2005, 08:24:11 pm »
I'm from the Miami, FL area. The author of this chat is also from FL. I got a nuc box from an apiarist in West Palm Beach to start my beekeeping career. The SHB came with the nuc box. A local guy told me that the SHB is probably the worst thing I'll encounter in this area. So it seems to be a problem in this state. No freezing temperatures of a real winter to kill them off. I'm going to do my best to remove the beetle without the help of chemicals. I've got a little experiment going. The tray I'm using covers the entire bottom board. It's premade from Dadant. I don't mind spending a little money to start off, then try my own hand at making traps. For the time being I'm taking it one step at a time to figure out what works and what doesn't.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Small Hive Beetles
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2005, 10:33:56 pm »
And remember, those little fellas will get into cracks where bees can't get.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

anything