Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Predicting Swarm Season  (Read 2324 times)

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
Predicting Swarm Season
« on: April 17, 2007, 03:30:12 pm »
I recently added my name to numerous swarm lists for my area. In that regard, it would be helpful if members would post the date of either catching or losing a swarm. Along w/ the responders location, this info will assit me , and others in preparing for catching and preventing swarms. I know many are already experiencing swarms and you are south or west of my location. We will be able to "see" the season creep north and east as it were. thanx in advance.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline LET-CA

• House Bee
Re: Predicting Swarm Season
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 03:33:12 pm »
It started in late March here in the Sacramento, CA area.  I've captured six swarms already this year and turned down another because I was headed out of town.

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 03:34:37 pm »
i think that it would be a better idea to write what was in bloom at that time. swarming/nature does not orientate by months but by temperature, bah...said it all wrong but i think you get the big picture.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 03:46:02 pm »
I haven't caught any swarms.
I have done a few cutouts.  :)

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 04:52:40 pm »
I live really close to you, I got called out for a swarm last year towards the end of April/early May. And my own hive flew for 2 years in a row on May 15th.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 11:37:37 pm »
A good indicator might be apple blossoms.  Ours should have bloomed two days ago, but hasn't.  I don't know when your's does.  A week before to two weeks after is what Walt Wright says is prime reproductive swarm season.  Of course if they get overcrowded they can swarm anytime.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 09:39:36 am »
My apple trees are just budding leaves today. I expect them to bloom probably about may 10th or so. This year everything is waiting for the weather to get back to normal. 18 days w/ 10 or more degrees below "normal".
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".