Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queen from a trap out  (Read 2853 times)

Offline alflyguy

• House Bee
Queen from a trap out
« on: July 10, 2008, 06:20:27 pm »
Is it possible to get the queen on a trap out. I've found a couple of feral colonies in very large and old oak trees. I don't want to cut the trees but I would like to get the bees with the feral queen.

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
Re: Queen from a trap out
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 07:59:33 pm »
Probably not. You'll just get the workers and drones. The queen won't likely leave.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 08:47:25 pm »
If the trap out is done properly, and there are many who don't, the queen at some point according to Iddee on beesource, does leave, but whether you'll be there when she does, that's another story all together.

Don't count on her leaving though and going into the bait hive, this possibility is very hit and miss.

Now, the chances of getting her on a trap out go way up on young hives, like as in swarms that have just set up shop.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 12:40:39 am »
I've never gotten one yet.   It is very hard to get them to leave the brood. I have even tried injecting bee-go into the tree and it didn't help.   Every time I've tried a trap out a queen in the lure hive I've ended up with a laying worker.

Your better off to keep an eye on them and get some swarm traps out to catch a swarm from them.

rob...
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

anything