Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What we know about Alaska beekeeping?  (Read 12515 times)

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
Re: What we know about Alaska beekeeping?
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2013, 10:41:55 am »
One reason to tundra areas of Alaska: warm and cold sea currents

Language barrier NOT included

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2013, 12:26:19 pm »
I am not sure why you always speak so negatively towards me.  I have been here for just a few days and in every instance you have spoken negatively towards me.  

Look I am not trying to get into an arguement with you about where it gets colder.  I know nothing about Finland and I have never made a comment about Finland.  I made a comment about Alaska based off of those that I have known personally that have lived in Minnesota and Alaska.  Check out this map.

This is our plant hardiness map.  This will give you a simple indicator of weather.  I am in north central Minnesota which is 3a.  Again I will state that Alaska is a huge state and you can see that the zones are nowhere near constant.  There are parts of the state that are warmer where where I am and lots of area that is colder.  I do not claim to be an expert in alaskan demographics, but I believe most of the alaska population lives in the southern part of Alaska an on the coast.  

According to this, that is mostly correct.  If you click on Alaska on the plant hardiness zone you get a zoomed in view of Alaska.  You see that again there are areas who are in a more favorable plant hardiness zone than I am, especially where a lot of population lives on the southern coast.  There are also lots of areas that max out the low zone.  

Weather is more complicated than this map, but it is something that we can easily use to compare areas of the country that are so far apart.

Edit-Ok so apparently I cannot post links or pictures like others can due to my new account.  So I guess you will have to trust me or google the USA plant hardiness zones and alaskan population.
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2013, 12:53:49 pm »
Also comparing latitude zones to beekeeping is a poor way to do it, on one of the maps/charts of Canada if you follow the lower border, mostly latitude based you get 5 climate zones of 7, same latitude different climates and condition to keep bees  :-\

mvh edward  :-P

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2013, 01:23:51 pm »

OK

It is better to look Gangnam star  video. 1260 million views.

http://www.youtube.com/user/officialpsy

Gangnam Style takes over Seoul: 80,000 fans go crazy for Psy as South Korea shut down capital for live show

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2213228/Gangnam-Style-takes-Seoul-80-000-fans-crazy-Psy-South-Korea-shut-capital-live-show.html#axzz2JmYJk4Ki

« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 01:54:47 pm by Finski »

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2013, 04:31:28 pm »
Is Mr.Gangnam a native beekeeper in Alaska?

mvh edward  :-P

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2013, 05:23:42 pm »
found a link to a Alaskan beekeeping club -maybe we can get them to add to the discussion-- 8-) RDY-B

http://www.alaskabees.com/WinterBeePictures.html

http://www.alaskabees.com/WinterBees.html

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2013, 05:34:11 pm »
found a link to a Alaskan beekeeping club -maybe we can get them to add to the discussion-- 8-) RDY-B

http://www.alaskabees.com/WinterBeePictures.html

http://www.alaskabees.com/WinterBees.html

There was interesting pictures. Taken in January some hives had bad poo around entrance.

I suppose that bees have brood there and the were obliged to come out to get rid off pressure.

Brood in these latitude means death.  Bee strain is not suitable  or there was bad nosema.
But I bet brood in the hive.

But otherwise, I could call that beekeeping style "aborginal beekeeping". No connection to outer world.

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2013, 05:54:12 pm »
 they would like to hear from you --shall we email the link they provide on the page and get them in on
 topic of alaskan beekeeping???

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2013, 09:27:00 am »
I am not sure why you always speak so negatively towards me.  I have been here for just a few days and in every instance you have spoken negatively towards me.  

Look I am not trying to get into an arguement with you about where it gets colder.  I know nothing about Finland and I have never made a comment about Finland.  I made a comment about Alaska based off of those that I have known personally that have lived in Minnesota and Alaska.  Check out this map.

This is our plant hardiness map.  This will give you a simple indicator of weather.  I am in north central Minnesota which is 3a.  Again I will state that Alaska is a huge state and you can see that the zones are nowhere near constant.  There are parts of the state that are warmer where where I am and lots of area that is colder.  I do not claim to be an expert in alaskan demographics, but I believe most of the alaska population lives in the southern part of Alaska an on the coast.  

According to this, that is mostly correct.  If you click on Alaska on the plant hardiness zone you get a zoomed in view of Alaska.  You see that again there are areas who are in a more favorable plant hardiness zone than I am, especially where a lot of population lives on the southern coast.  There are also lots of areas that max out the low zone.  

Weather is more complicated than this map, but it is something that we can easily use to compare areas of the country that are so far apart.

Edit-Ok so apparently I cannot post links or pictures like others can due to my new account.  So I guess you will have to trust me or google the USA plant hardiness zones and alaskan population.
Bush_84 .....
I will say Finski need to move to International Falls, Minnesota USA to keep bees  :-D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Falls,_Minnesota

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2013, 09:51:40 am »
 :th_thumbsupup:  Right On Jim 134, right On!

Bush_84.  Hang in there Brother, Don't let Finski discourage you.  For some unknown reason he's allowed to be rude to others.
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2013, 02:24:22 pm »

Hah hah ha. You may keep your hives as you like.

Winter food consumption 50-60 kg in winter. You are great in everything!!!! .... And 3 boxes in winter. It is good if I get 3 boxes in summer-

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2013, 02:30:11 pm »

I will say Finski need to move to International Falls, Minnesota USA to keep bees  :-D

That will be fun. It is difficult to find winter hobby but then I may feed the whole winter to hives  honey balls and newdspaper sugar.
I do not stand to wait!

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2013, 07:18:33 pm »

:brian: An old beekeeping truth  :brian:

During the beekeeping season the bees sting the beekeeper

When cabin fever sets in the winter the beekeeper stings other beekeepers 

mvh edward   :-P