Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New respect for yellow jackets!  (Read 5893 times)

Offline DryCreekGeezer

• New Bee
  • Don't worry, BEE happy.
Re: New respect for yellow jackets!
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2013, 12:01:00 am »
If I could have found the nests in the field next to my hives, they would be gone and I would still have 2 hives.  My son-in-law is a logger; he said he has seen them about 50 feet apart in the woods, which are well within flying distance for both the bees and the jackets.  Even putting out traps does not catch enough of them.  I even tried standing near the front of the hives (protected) and squashed as many as I could pinch between my gloved fingers or under the blade of my hive tool.

It didn't help.  The bees are gone.
Dry Creek Honey

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2013, 05:57:32 am »
Did you reduce entrance size?   One entrance the size of one or two bees generally ends an attack as long as its not too late.
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline glennj3cub

• New Bee
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2013, 02:09:14 am »
I have been reading that many people have put gas down into the hole of the YJ. Please do not light them, gas fumes explode into a large powerful fire ball and will burn your skin so quickly you want know what hit you. Diesel is a different thing.
This coming from an experience Nurse!

Stay careful !
Glenn

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2013, 07:05:56 am »
I have been reading that many people have put gas down into the hole of the YJ. Please do not light them, gas fumes explode into a large powerful fire ball and will burn your skin so quickly you want know what hit you. Diesel is a different thing.
This coming from an experience Nurse!

Stay careful !

Oh my, I can't believe a nurse is actually advocating pouring any kind of fuel into our Mother….a sad day indeed :'(
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2013, 07:55:26 am »
Glenn, I get a coffee can and fill it about half full of gas and put it to them. The wide opening will ensure that pretty much all the gas gets on them at once thus reducing your chances of getting stung. If you use a spray most likely a couple will escape from the hole and get you.

When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline labradorfarms

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2013, 05:02:47 pm »
Not to take over the topic, but Im looking to start bee keeping this coming year. I know of a yellow jacket nest on my property. Should I go out as gas it now before I start my Colonys or do yellow jackets move there nest from year to year?
If I need to gas it Id prefer to do in in the cold when there not swarming as much.