Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queen rearing without Grafting?  (Read 9134 times)

Offline ColeB234

• New Bee
Queen rearing without Grafting?
« on: December 22, 2014, 01:56:21 pm »
Hello all, I recently bought ten new nuc boxes in preparation for the upcoming season, I hope to divide the nucs into two two frame hives and raise Queens two Queens in one box, and then combining two nuc boxes together under one Queen, or selling the Nucs with the Queens. I have a frame for grafting, as well as the cell cups and a mating nuc, but I don't think I have the skill with grafting that I need to make Queens that way, so I have been looking at ways to make Queens without grafting, but so far none have really appealed to me, so I was thinking about just letting a colony go until it gets to the swarm point or removing their Queen, and letting them make their own Cells, which I could then harvest and put into the nucs to have the Queens raised and mated, then sold.

I would also like to hear about systems others have used besides grafting that has worked for them, and any opinions on the way I want to do it. Thanks Folks, and Happy Beekeeping, Cole.
My Mentors exact words after he inspected my first hive: "When I was growing up, boy stop picking that stinger and listen, I was always told that bees do everything for a reason, so these bees sting you quite a bit, why do you think that is? No, don't bother answering, you'll get it wrong, it's because they hate ya! Boy I'll tell ya, I have never seen such hateful batch of bees, usually they love me, some say it's because I'm such a sweet old man. But these girls, oh mama, they are the nastiest bunch of stinging insects I have ever had the displeasure of acquainting myself with, you aught to take a blowtorch to 'em, that's the only thing that'll keep 'em from being so mean, they can't be mean when they're dead!" We inspected the hive, he's used to doing everything without a veil, and he was somewhat shocked when he got stung on his right cheek. That was the funniest face I have ever seen a man make, though the cussing that followed was pretty funny too. ;)

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
Re: Queen rearing without Grafting?
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 02:47:01 pm »
Thanks Mike, and Cole if you just make a walk away type of split, I don't think you will get as many queen cells as you want. I did one last summer and only got 4 cells.

Offline minz

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 01:06:54 am »
I use Demaree to keep them from swarming and put the queen cells in a 2 frame queen mating castle. Really what that means to you is to check the bees every 10 days and when they do make swarm cells move that frame and another to a small nuc that they can keep warm. It is not so much about the queens or cells (assuming you are small like I am) but the drawn foundation and the bees to get another hive up and running.
Poor decisions make the best stories.

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 12:37:52 pm »
Here is a video of grafting close up.
It shows in detail of the technique used.
Only thing it's in Russian, but you can see the technique of how it's done.
Practice makes perfect no matter what style you use to raise queens.
Click on link below for the video.

Umlarven - Königinnenaufzucht
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 06:20:08 pm »
Great video Capt.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 08:13:25 pm »
Cole,

Look into On The Spot (OTS) queen rearing.   It is a convenient way to get quality queens without having to graft.   Too bad you are not closer,  I'm doing a presentation on it at our March bee group meeting.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 10:47:52 pm »
Indeed. Mel answers emails promptly, if I had known Rob did OTS I'd probably have bugged him too!    It does work very well. It works better if you use wax or foundation-less so you can cut out the cells when they are ready. Just dont notch over a wire and your good.
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 03:50:11 pm »
Cole,

Look into On The Spot (OTS) queen rearing.   It is a convenient way to get quality queens without having to graft.   Too bad you are not closer,  I'm doing a presentation on it at our March bee group meeting.

Do you buy any chance have the presentation in power point or hand outs you can share etc?
John 3:16

Offline rwlaw

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 10:02:21 am »
SC, Google MDA splitters and you'll get a lot of info. Mel also has published a book also, it's very comprehensive of his theories and experience, well worth 50 bucks
Can't ever say that bk'n ain't a learning experience!

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 05:40:41 pm »
Can you use OTS queen rearing with plastic foundation? 

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 05:58:07 pm »
>Can you use OTS queen rearing with plastic foundation? 

Yes.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin