Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Delta, BC bylaws on BeeKeeping  (Read 2183 times)

Offline RonH

• New Bee
Delta, BC bylaws on BeeKeeping
« on: December 03, 2009, 01:37:05 am »
I have writtten to the Delta, BC municipal people asking if I can in fact keep bees in my backyard in Tsawwassen twice now without a response after 3 weeks....am I to presume they do not care and I should just do it or should I push for a response?

Offline Yappy

• House Bee
  • "Your darnest Questions, get the best Advice"
Re: Delta, BC bylaws on BeeKeeping
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 04:31:15 am »
Hi Ron, You are in luck.
 Delta Bylaws ,Beekeeping Bylaw No. 6804

At the Special Meeting following the Public Hearing on October 27, 2009, Delta Council adopted Bylaw No. 6804 to amend "Delta Zoning Bylaw no. 2750, 1977" to permit beekeeping as an accessory use to single family and duplex dwellings and for educational purposes in Public (P) zones.

Prior to Council's adoption of Bylaw No. 6804, beekeeping was limited to zones that permit farming. The purpose of Bylaw No. 6804 is to allow hobby beekeeping at single family and duplex dwellings along with Public zones in Delta. Bees play a valuable role in food production and hobby beekeeping can contribute towards enriching and maintaining biodiversity as well as leading to more productive harvests of backyard and community gardens.

A number of requirements and regulations have been included in Bylaw No. 6804 for the purpose of managing the bees' flight path to reduce encounters between bees and neighbours or pedestrians.

The Bee Act requires anyone who keeps bees or beehives or who practices beekeeping to register with the Beekeeper and Apiary Registration Program for British Columbia, administered by the Ministry of Agriculture and Lands. The Regional Apiculture Inspector for Metro Vancouver/Fraser Valley and the Provincial Apiculturalist have a working relationship with Metro Vancouver municipalities and are able to respond to nuisance complaints and complete inspections of bee colonies should they arise.

"To learn more about this Bylaw, including the general provisions and requirements intended to manage the bees' flight path and regulations, see Bylaw No. 6804. Also read the September 22, 2009 Zoning Bylaw Amendment - Beekeeping Council Report.

For more information, please contact the Community Planning & Development Department at (604) 946-3380. "

... Rob

Offline RonH

• New Bee
Re: Delta, BC bylaws on BeeKeeping
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 07:46:50 pm »
Thanks Rob....

anything