Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cordovan Queens?  (Read 12435 times)

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
Re: Cordovan Queens?
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2010, 11:24:18 am »

Did you charge em to inspect it? I am not going to go to anymore hives in roofs and if i do i will charge for coming out and checking it. Surprising how many people grumble when i say i would like to cover my costs and i know them to be less than half what pest control costs and you get to save the bees!

I have had a few calls for places up your way and told the people to call you. Another today in a chimney in Chelthnam...did they call you too?

I didn't charge to inspect, but I am getting fussy about where I go. It has to suit me. I got called out to a flat in Balwyn where they had bees in the Kitchen. I did that because I felt a bit sorry for them. Got there and there was a lot of dead bees even though they had not sprayed recently. They had obviously been poisoned in some way. I looked through the cupboard where they were comming in but there was no sign of the queen there or on the window. It was the first time I have recommended the can.

The chimney call was the second for the weekend. No one wants their chimney pulled down to remove the bees. Both had working fireplaces, so I suggested lighting a small very smokey fire before they get established in there. I don't know if there was a better way, hopefully if there is someone here can suggest it.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2010, 11:37:23 am »
You need to be very careful when bees are in a chimney, especially if they are in the flue itself. If they have drawn any comb the heat of the rising smoke/gases from a fire cam melt the wax and start an instant flue fire.

When bees are actually entering a building interior space it's quite common to find dead ones all over the place...window sills being a prime spot. This doesn't mean that they have been sprayed, The bees are attracted to the light of the window or light bulbs etc. and work themselves to death much like moths do.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2010, 12:05:13 pm »
I made sure the bees had only just moved in before suggesting the smoke.

I'll keep that in mind about the dead bees. Thanks Hardwood.