Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: SHB WOE"S------ AGAIN  (Read 6515 times)

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
SHB WOE"S------ AGAIN
« on: October 12, 2008, 06:15:59 am »
My second best honey producer began a shb collapse in early sept, It was a very strong hive but began to collapse during a requeen effort. It was strong @ time but had early signs of queen failure I was placing a new Goldline queen in the hive.

I shook them all to new drawn comb in a five frame nuc. It was a very strong five framer. I introduced the new queen successfully and she was laying. I placed an AJ's trap in the nuc. Upon a couple of inspections the hive look good and progressing well. Lots of pollen coming in and new brood coming along. So I decided to leave them alone a while.

Day before yester, I saw them hauling out some healthy looking pupae. I knew this was a bad sign @ our warm temps this time of year.

Opened up hive and found the population had decreased significantly. The hive was teeming w/ adult shb but no larvae. I looked but could not find the new queen. I did find a queen cell in  what seems to be emergency or supercedure positon. There where unhatched eggs and larvae.

Yesterday they had torn out all eggs and brood etc. The attempt to trap with the AJ trap was the poorest I have had up to this date using it. Very few shb in trap for the number in the hive, like about 10-20 in a hive of literally hundreds. Not sure why?

I'm not sure what happened to the queen. Maybe a supercedure? Maybe absconded because of shb with the large portion of bees and the stragglers drew out an emergency cell. Maybe a swarm, but that dosen't seem right, plenty of laying space.  Did I kill her on inspection Naw---Remember eggs where present but laying down flat in cells (older than 48 hrs). Had not been in the hive in a while.

Anyway the nuc is doomed. If they survive the shb which I doubt.  Not enough drones to mate if the cell hatches, and not enough time for the hive to build up if she does :'(!

Will not combine it or take it to my other yard because of shb issues!!!

John 3:16

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
Re: SHB WOE"S------ AGAIN
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 06:05:47 pm »
It's a gonner  now. Checked today full of larva!!!

Offline dhood

• House Bee
    • WD Hood Apiaries
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 06:23:16 pm »
Sorry to hear that, I lost one this year too.
Checked one of my strongest hives yesterday, had dozens of them in the top box.
Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed, when the SHB make a presence in the hive, shortly afterwords, there is noticeably far less stores in the hive. Are they eating it, or are the bees so busy guarding the hive they stop producing?

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 06:44:35 pm »
For those of you that are not plagued with SHB's, be thankful. They are nasty and a force to be dealt with.
To keep them in check, you must stay on top of them. If you see one, assume there are others.

Sorry for your loss, Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 11:41:47 pm »
I hear they are coming up here to Northern California or perhaps have made their way already. I am dreading it. It could be the death of my beekeeping.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 09:57:35 am »
I'm sure SHB is worse in the warmer climates.  I have them here in the somewhat frozen north, but they aren't a problem unless a hive is hurting really really bad.  In fact I had one chalkbrood hive that was only in one box out of 3 for most of the year and they are fine now, no shb.

Rick
Rick

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 10:00:53 am »
I hear they are coming up here to Northern California or perhaps have made their way already. I am dreading it. It could be the death of my beekeeping.

They are bad but can be managed. I think the worst thing about them is the speed at which they can overtake a colony, that was what surprised me. Now I try to keep a jammed full hive to guard against them

Keith

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 01:38:53 pm »
Maybe the winters are to cold for them here. Down in the valley it is warmer

Offline mountainvalleybee

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2008, 12:30:38 pm »
SHB-soon to be a non-problem.
We are their Keepers, but not their Owners, for they are of Nature and No One owns Nature.(www.mountainvalleybees.com)

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2008, 06:46:04 pm »
They will winter cluster with the bees, but they won't reproduce until warm weather.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2008, 09:05:31 pm »
 I tore a 3 deep hive down to the bottom board this evening. It had a lot of "burr comb" on it. When I started breaking them loose to clean out, hive beetles started running. I couldn't squish beetles for the bees getting after them. I squished a bee for every other beetle I think. Darn, they are quick when they get after a beetle. 2 or 3 ganged up on each beetle. I think I need to move this hive or try the tobacco/sugar water spray an older beek told me about.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2008, 09:13:43 pm »
Never heard of the tobacco/sugar water spray. Do you have any more details?

Steve

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2008, 10:04:17 pm »
 He said that he boils chewing tobacco and mixes it with sugar water and sprays under and around his hives. Exact "recipe" is at work, but thats the gist of it. I asked a little while back in another post if anyone else had heard of it with no responce. I figure the tobacco juice kills the larva and the sugar water holds it in place after drying. My concern was what does it do to the bees if they get after the sugar water. He said they don't due to the tobacco smell. He is a 4th generation beekeeper.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2008, 07:14:43 am »
I tore a 3 deep hive down to the bottom board this evening. It had a lot of "burr comb" on it. When I started breaking them loose to clean out, hive beetles started running. I couldn't squish beetles for the bees getting after them. I squished a bee for every other beetle I think. Darn, they are quick when they get after a beetle. 2 or 3 ganged up on each beetle. I think I need to move this hive or try the tobacco/sugar water spray an older beek told me about.

if the hive keeps them in check I wouldn't mess with them, what I think cant buy a cup of coffee but I think some bee's can handle SHB's better than others, just like mite survivors, one advantage about being here in ga, when you do removals you can get the one's that deal with both, adult beetle counts are not the worry because I have heard UGA dumping 2500 adults in a single test hive and the hive still doing fine 8 months later, its the one's that let beetle larva take over is the one's that need to be culled, but you can have gentle bee's that are survivors but if they can live without treatment, a little hot is not a problem for me. 
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2008, 10:20:13 am »
I'm in michigan, I see a small amount of SHB,  I saw one the other day actually leaving, came to the entrance and flew away before I could smash it. But I still see the odd one run when I open the hive. So far no real issues for me, but I am thinking of using the method of boric acid in the hive, stuff it into a piece of cardboard cap the ends with crisco and let them eat there way in. Should take care of any issues this spring. Well hopefully. And its considered natural treatment I think, because its a natural product.
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2008, 02:26:28 pm »
I'm in michigan, I see a small amount of SHB,  I saw one the other day actually leaving, came to the entrance and flew away before I could smash it. But I still see the odd one run when I open the hive. So far no real issues for me, but I am thinking of using the method of boric acid in the hive, stuff it into a piece of cardboard cap the ends with crisco and let them eat there way in. Should take care of any issues this spring. Well hopefully. And its considered natural treatment I think, because its a natural product.

MustBeNuts,

Here in MI I'd recommend leaving them alone.  Come winter the SHB won't be doing much, and in the spring it is still too cold for them to do much while the bee population is exploding.  They will still be around, but aren't an issue until late June, and even then I haven't seen a problem in an outdoor hive.  I had an observation hive that was hurt by them in April/May (because it is nice and warm inside the house!), but I also had a weak hive outdoors that had way too much comb that didn't have any issue with SHB before the hive got strong enough toward the end of the summer.  Not a problem here, probably not worth putting an insecticide in the hive if you can help it, natural or not.  Just my $.02.

Rick
Rick

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2008, 03:56:26 pm »
>but I am thinking of using the method of boric acid in the hive, stuff it into a piece of cardboard cap the ends with crisco and let them eat there way in. Should take care of any issues this spring. Well hopefully. And its considered natural treatment I think, because its a natural product.

? ? ? ?  :roll:

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2008, 06:19:00 pm »
> And its considered natural treatment I think, because its a natural product.

? ? ? ?  :roll:
I know where you are coming from, but I can't consider it natural because bees don't bring boric acid into their hive.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda