Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive Top Feeders: Who likes them ???  (Read 17366 times)

Offline Zoot

• House Bee
Hive Top Feeders: Who likes them ???
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2006, 10:07:03 am »
I'd be curious to learn your formula for puncturing your can lids. I used homade metal pail feeders back in the late 70's when I kept bees for about 6 years and never had a problem with them. Now I am stymied; all of my experiments with making a pail feeder this season (all plastic) failed, never achieved a proper vacuum. They dripped too much or not at all creating too much vacuum. So...I ended up buying one which works fine.

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2006, 07:36:30 pm »
This thread just keeps getting better. Thanks to all who have replied. I did not believe I would pick up so much from just one topic. Beekeepers must be a hardy and innovative bunch . :D

Offline Jay

• House Bee
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2006, 06:12:55 pm »
Quote from: Zoot
I'd be curious to learn your formula for puncturing your can lids. I used homade metal pail feeders back in the late 70's when I kept bees for about 6 years and never had a problem with them. Now I am stymied; all of my experiments with making a pail feeder this season (all plastic) failed, never achieved a proper vacuum. They dripped too much or not at all creating too much vacuum. So...I ended up buying one which works fine.

The problem with the plastic is, when it gets cooler and warmer the plastic moves with the expantion and contraction and so squeezes out the liquid. That is why most people use glass jars for homemade feeders. :D
By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson