Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honey from feral bees  (Read 1474 times)

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Honey from feral bees
« on: September 26, 2007, 05:49:37 pm »
For those that have taken bees from walls, trees, ETC. have you taken the honey and bottled it for use? I was given a bottle of honey that was taken from a wall. It is very dark and strong tasting. Is that normal? Just curious!

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
Re: Honey from feral bees
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 06:53:09 pm »
I have gotten good honey from my cut outs.It is the source of the honey that makes the honey taste.I have had dark and light both good
yum yum
kirk-o
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 08:24:17 pm »
I will take honey from cutouts and give it to the owner on the condition that no chemicals were used in previous attempts to remove the bees.
Any I keep I will not sell though because I don't know all of the conditions it came form.
I will feed it back to the bees. I usually don't save all the honey comb. Maybe a few pieces. I am mainly concerned with brood frames and the queen.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 09:31:09 pm »
You have to be very careful as Brendhan has mentioned, there are so many variables that can complicate the facts, like the grasscutter that the homeowner didn't know about that sprayed wasp spray into the hive, or a neighbor, or a relative, etc... You have to do a lot of detective work to get the facts straight, and then there are the unknowns to add to the pot. I have gotten some very fine honey from cutouts and lots that looked and tasted a little funny, and not to be trusted. Also, hives that have been there a long time usually have surplus honey in dark comb that may be 2 or more seasons old, I don't like this honey. Like Brendhan, I mainly just salvage the brood comb.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

anything