Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Catawba trees and worms  (Read 3430 times)

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
Catawba trees and worms
« on: January 30, 2007, 03:36:35 pm »
At heart I am a fisherman. I have read referances to Catawba trees having a kind of worm that is awesome for sunny fishing(bream for you southerners). I want to take the nephews fishing this spring. Does anyone have any info as to where these worms inhabit on the tree. Many referances on internet, but no info on how to get these worms. Hoping someone out there knows.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline ndvan

• House Bee
Re: Catawba trees and worms
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 09:33:32 am »
If a "Catawba" tree is what we call a "Caltalpa" tree, and I think it is, the worms get on the underside of the leaves, which they eat.  Not all trees have them, but a lot do.  They have black and yellow stripes against a white body.  They are good fish bait.  I have not used them for perch/bream, but they are good for catfish.  If you worm them on a hook, they stay on real well.  They can also be bagged up and frozen and used later. 

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 02:12:50 pm »
there's another option. get a real bad cut so it festers and ask the doctor for larvae treatment. take that larvae for bait:D
or, get a piece of meat, catch a few flies and put them into a container, you'll get nice fat fish baits, but it does stink a lot. and you have to keep them closed otherwise wasps might eat your worms!

Offline Ruben

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 10:59:15 pm »
The Catawba Worms are great for fishing, we used them mainly for cat fishing when I was growing up. They will be all over the faliage when the cigar/bean looking things are on the tree. Just pull them off, hook them and get ready to jerk that fishing pole!!!!!!

anything