Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My orange harvester  (Read 7336 times)

Offline abejaruco

• Field Bee
My orange harvester
« on: January 17, 2007, 05:48:11 pm »
I have devised a system to harvest oranges :-P
It is a bottomless bucket with a long sleeved, I call it "la manga" sleeved in Spanish. The orange is harvested without damage and the worker harvest faster than with a kangooro bag. Perhaps can help you to harvest apples or cherries.

Ah...the paradise...

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
Re: My orange harvester
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 06:47:20 pm »
Wow, I'll bet they're tasty!

Pity the poor orange farmers in California and Florida - I guess with this current whacky winter weather some of the crops have been 75% frozen/destroyed  :shock:

Looks like you're going to have a great harvest!

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 02:38:56 am »
Thats a clever idea abe and one that should work. How much do pickers earn for a bin of oranges?

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 10:48:07 am »
abejaruco.  What a beautiful site your pictures are.  I have never seen oranges grow and I'll tell you the contrast between green and orange is simply astounding.  Two of my favourite colours.

the picture of the baskets of oranges peeking through the trees is almost one that I would love to have on my walling hanging up.  It looks like the orange baskets are framed by the tree branches. 

Would you allow me to copy that picture off the forum and print it on my computer so I can have it on my wall in the form of a picture?  I thought I had best ask.

Your invention of the sleeve on the bucket is astounding as well.  You must be good at invention.  Good for you!!!!  Great day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 10:59:01 am »
Wow I bet the bees love those Orange trees
kirk-o
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline abejaruco

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 01:59:23 pm »
Of course, Cindi, you can take all my pictures. I am happy because you want use them. :)

My bees love the citrus as the children the chupa-chups.
Ah...! la primavera (the spring) and the azahar/citrus flower fragance

About the cold in California, Florida and Texas...brrrrr... I have had any ices from Russia ("From Russia with love", is it not a film?)..all the oranges on the ground

And the picker earns 60 € every day, working or stopped. One day he harvests 1000 kgr., other day he harvests 600...The market is the problem.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 10:09:47 pm »
abejaruco.  thank you, I am intrigured with the pictures and will copy a couple of them to my other computer so I can print them to see them in real better view.

Define Chupa-chup.  Is that a nickname for some kind of fruit?  Oranges?

Are the white flower blossoms in the pictures the blossom of the orange that grows at your place?  I have not seen orange blossom.

I do grow mock orange tree/bush.  The flowers that are borne are white, as the pictures I see that you sent, they are rather waxy looking, as the flowers you sent look too.  The mock orange bush is extremely fragrant and must be a cousin to the actual fruit bearing orange tree.  I would imagine the fragrance of the orange blossom would be breathtaking.

Many flowers I grow around here are white, many have that "waxy" look and have a powerful fragrance.  The species of white plants I grow are gardenia, white bluebells (very fragrant too), white hyacinth, white mock orange, white nicotianna (night fragrance only), trailing jasmine (highly fragrant).  It is interesting that many white flowers have the waxy appearance and are incredible with fragrance.

Right, white flowers, the blueberry bushes.  Stand near to a group of these and you will never again question how the bees find many plants, the aroma is nothing short of breathtaking.

Ever stood near a corn field when the pollen is high?  I can only describe this wonderous aroma as something that of a honey scent.  Beautiful.

Yes, abejaruco, la primavera!!! and all the wonderful things that go with the onset of the forthcoming months of beautiful summer dog days.  Great day.  Cindi

By the way, you take wonderful photographs....have you had professional training?  LOL.  It would seem so by the angle of some of the pictures.  Bring on the pictures, it is wonderful to travel to a beautiful part of the world through the eyes of the computer screen (LOL).
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 06:03:46 pm »
hmmm, how come it doesn't get squashed, damaged, i mean...is the sleave twisted so the fruit goes down slowly or what? i don't get it, the orange shoudl hit the bottom fast. what's the trick?
and, is that a mandarin tree in the first pic,  a smaller one in the right lower corner.
by the way, the salary, how is it considered is it big or small? season workers usualy get...small salaryes, at least the imported ones, but you have dificulties importing labour force i persume.

Offline abejaruco

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 01:52:40 pm »
Sorry, I am late answering, I have been testing the sleave with a dozen of eggs...It is work, but I would not use it to harvest thousands of eggs.
The secret is the friction, the sleave, as you can see in the photo, really offer resistence. I have to post a better photo.
It is not a mandarino, but I have mandarinos, satsumas, valencia late, grapefruit/pomelo, chinos -an ancient variety with seeds-, clementinas....avocados, kaki, almonds, olive trees, lemons, prunes, peaches. But for familiar consumption. I only sell oranges.
The salary is normal. If you don´t pay 60 € he will work in the building industry, where he always will find work. Because all the Spanish (and French) coast is being built.
About the imported labor force. Girls from Polland come to the west, to harvest strawberries, at the east of Spain, where the greenhouses, come from Russia to harvest... husbands. Divorces are common...No, I don´t work problems at home. :evil:

Cindi...el chupa chups

http://www.cremosabychupachups.com/

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2007, 01:33:58 am »
My brother-lin-law, says that one of the worst things that a person can say in Spanish is,  chupo me opoa, it is obviously  a bad word, I have no idea wuat that means, he says it is a swear word.  C.  I am a terrrible translator.

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
  • Little honey bee in flight
    • Photo Album
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2007, 05:02:33 pm »
I'm pretty sure its si not C Cindi! lol

really cool! The closest thing ive gotten to agriculture wit Oranges is The orange sale my FFA/Ag department Sells each year. Which i get to hep unload the 1000 some boxes off the truck!
"I have never wished to cater to the crowd, for what I know they do not approve, and what they approve I do not know." - Epicurus.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2007, 11:31:14 pm »
Abejaruco.  OK, now I want a Cremosa made by Chupa Chup.  The definition of the lollipop sounded too good to be true.  Yum, yum.  Great day.  Cindi

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2007, 01:33:52 pm »
yup, i see how the sleave is twisted, i just couldn't believe it doesn't untwist and the oranges don't hit the bootom with full force. ah well..much to learn.

anything